Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Turbo-K, BMR upper/lower control arms.....LOUD BANG when backing up......

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Mine is up in the air right now. I'm going to look everything over. The "bang" almost sounds like a coil spring binding up and moving. I don't know any other way to describe it.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Found it. It's the drivers side, vertical bolt. It's quite obvious it's been sliding. The washer looks like it's deformed some. I guess I'll find a harder, thicker washer.

Old 06-26-2024, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Found it. It's the drivers side, vertical bolt. It's quite obvious it's been sliding. The washer looks like it's deformed some. I guess I'll find a harder, thicker washer.

My car is up on front end ramps. About an hour ago I saw the same marks on my vertical bolts and horizontal bolts.
I’ll get pictures tomorrow. Has to be it.

I can imagine the high velocity these are impacting each end of the groove they sit in to make that big bang.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't remember if the a arms came new vertical bolts or not. I reused the factory horizontal bolts.

I remember going to a local Fastenal, but I can't remember what bolts I bought or I even used them.

I am pretty sure I didn't buy the a arm bolt kit when I bought the k member/a arms.

Regardless, I think I need better washers.

---------------------

I just looked at their site, it looks like it does come with hardware for the rear vertical bolts when you get the rod ends.

HOLY **** those things are expensive. I'm telling myself I didn't pay that much a couple years ago.

Old 06-26-2024, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I can't remember if the a arms came new vertical bolts or not. I reused the factory horizontal bolts.

I remember going to a local Fastenal, but I can't remember what bolts I bought or I even used them.

I am pretty sure I didn't buy the a arm bolt kit when I bought the k member/a arms.

Regardless, I think I need better washers.

---------------------

I just looked at their site, it looks like it does come with hardware for the rear vertical bolts when you get the rod ends.

HOLY **** those things are expensive. I'm telling myself I didn't pay that much a couple years ago.
I used all the factory stuff. If BMR has a hardware kit I'll get it.

Both horizontal lower control arm bolts have a gap on one saie and the other is very tight to the mount. Hope I didn't bend the arm mounts.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Front upper and lower
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...255&superpro=0

Front upper only
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...256&superpro=0

Front lower only
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...257&superpro=0
Old 06-26-2024, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Oh ok, thanks. I don't think I bought those with the control arms. I wonder if they are any different in measurments than the factory stuff. I'll email them to ask.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

My guess if everything is tight then the alignment is way off. Tires maybe catching the plastic fender liner when you turn or something. Pulling it back and then letting it go causing a pop noise.

Yes you can drive without a front sway bar. Many drag cars run without one and many offroading jeeps and trucks do too.

Also, stop driving It, you are risking causing an accident.

Check every bolt that was touched. Get the front end in the air (and support with jackstands) and have someone turn the wheel while you watch. Try to isolate the noise.

Once it's fixed, get it aligned before you actually drive it. Too much caster or too little will cause the front wheels to hit the fenders when turning which can be dangerous.

Not to be rude but I'm assuming since you are asking if you can drive without a front sway bar you are probably green to the sport. This stuff isn't a joke and can be dangerous, get someone who knows what they are doing to help work on it. Lots of stuff can go wrong under there.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
My guess if everything is tight then the alignment is way off. Tires maybe catching the plastic fender liner when you turn or something. Pulling it back and then letting it go causing a pop noise.

Yes you can drive without a front sway bar. Many drag cars run without one and many offroading jeeps and trucks do too.

Also, stop driving It, you are risking causing an accident.

Check every bolt that was touched. Get the front end in the air (and support with jackstands) and have someone turn the wheel while you watch. Try to isolate the noise.

Once it's fixed, get it aligned before you actually drive it. Too much caster or too little will cause the front wheels to hit the fenders when turning which can be dangerous.

Not to be rude but I'm assuming since you are asking if you can drive without a front sway bar you are probably green to the sport. This stuff isn't a joke and can be dangerous, get someone who knows what they are doing to help work on it. Lots of stuff can go wrong under there.
Only reason I drove it today (on my street at 15-20mph) was to see if a suspicion was true about it only moving while backing up. But now I know it also pops back to where it was while backing up and then when you go forward it pops back. Then from that point on going forward its all normal.

Tires are definitely not hitting the fenders, checked everywhere for marks.

Not sure how much you read in this thread, but tonight I found where the noise is coming from, just like "LilJayV10" did and showed in his picture.....our lower control arm mounting bolts are moving in their mounting slots. No doubt.

I'll be driving it to the alignment shop on Friday as I know everything is in place, very tight and it drives perfect going straight. Last week my car was on jack stands and turning the wheels left and right showed no BANG sound.......it must be uder load on the tires to get the bang.

These guys are very good, they do race cars, street cars, exotics and foreign cars.

Juast had to find what it was that was moving.

Old 06-27-2024, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoyWS6
Only reason I drove it today (on my street at 15-20mph) was to see if a suspicion was true about it only moving while backing up. But now I know it also pops back to where it was while backing up and then when you go forward it pops back. Then from that point on going forward its all normal.

Tires are definitely not hitting the fenders, checked everywhere for marks.

Not sure how much you read in this thread, but tonight I found where the noise is coming from, just like "LilJayV10" did and showed in his picture.....our lower control arm mounting bolts are moving in their mounting slots. No doubt.

I'll be driving it to the alignment shop on Friday as I know everything is in place, very tight and it drives perfect going straight. Last week my car was on jack stands and turning the wheels left and right showed no BANG sound.......it must be uder load on the tires to get the bang.

These guys are very good, they do race cars, street cars, exotics and foreign cars.

Juast had to find what it was that was moving.
Ok awesome. I dont have a k member quite like that one but if I did, i would align it and tack weld the washer to the k member so it doesnt move.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Here’s the pics of my witness marks. Notice the gap on one side of the horizontal bolt mount red bushings. I’m wondering if that has been bent a little bit. Both sides have that gap because both sides vertical bolts have been slipping back and forth in their mounting slots.

Looking at a few of these pictures it appears as if the bolts are clearly bending. They’re not, when under the car they look perfectly straight. I think that’s just what the camera makes them look like.

Old 06-29-2024, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Problem solved.

The vertical and horizontal lower control arm bolts were loose. They were tight, but not enough to keep it from slamming back and forth in their respective slots.
Those bolts in the photos are not bent, it just came out that way in the photos.

Alignment was also off. Car drives like new.

Only question I have, and I’ll email BMR about it, does this look right? Bushings and washer…….left and right side…?

Old 06-29-2024, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoyWS6
Problem solved.

The vertical and horizontal lower control arm bolts were loose. They were tight, but not enough to keep it from slamming back and forth in their respective slots.
Those bolts in the photos are not bent, it just came out that way in the photos.

Alignment was also off. Car drives like new.

Only question I have, and I’ll email BMR about it, does this look right? Bushings and washer…….left and right side…?

Hmm I've got BMR k member and a arms on my 91 and they don't have any washers on the inside of the box my bushings are a tight fit with barely enough room
Old 06-29-2024, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Hmm I've got BMR k member and a arms on my 91 and they don't have any washers on the inside of the box my bushings are a tight fit with barely enough room
I’ll here back from BMR then post what they said.

Quick Reply: BMR Turbo-K, BMR upper/lower control arms.....LOUD BANG when backing up......