Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1965 C10 with 6372TCA-LAB Control Arms + Air Bags + D2600

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2024 | 03:12 AM
On The Tree

Default 1965 C10 with 6372TCA-LAB Control Arms + Air Bags + D2600

Hey fellas, this post is mainly for people who are going to google this in the future. Turns out Classic Performance Products or CPP offers a lower control arms for Air bags, long story short they only accept a really shitty tiny bag, that gives you very limited range of height adjustment and pressures that dictate ride quality to be stiff to super stiff. Didnt know that till my truck rubbed through both front air bags and left me stranded. Anywho.

Heres a solution for those of you who want to run Dominator 2600 series bags. It required cutting off the bump stops, then trimming the original bump stop down and relocating it to the side.

First thing i did was put a floor jack under the lower control arm and lifted it till the bump stop just touched the crossmember (i did not compress the bump stop at all, just touching). i measured from the lower control arm to the cross member to get a specific height. turned out to be about 11cm for me.

After i had that measurement, i popped off the tie rod and upper ball joint, then just let the spindle flop to the side so i could work around it.

Cut off the bump stop and used a die-grinder to get the majority of the welds cleaned off (didnt bother going crazy, the bags will never get close to them), i then trimmed off the excess from the bump stop and moved it forward towards the tie rod, this gives the air bag tonnes of room.

I then cleaned the powder coating off where i planned on welding it, and jacked up the lower control arm till it measured 11cm to the cross member, went ahead and positioned the bump stop (with the rubber installed) so it was just touching the crossmember.

Tack it down well. then take the rubber bump stop off and weld it out. Por15 to coat the welds and it will fit a huge bag now. Why CPP insists on putting the bump stops in the way is beyond me. Maybe its a "Fits any year" requirement... The bump stop won't have the same support as it had previously, which may or may not be a deal breaker for you. Most guys chop the bump stops out entirely so they can essentially lay the crossmember on the ground, but i wanted it just for when i air out so my wheels don't hit the inner fenders since i am not cutting them out.

Air bag cut up by the bump stop bracket.

Old 09-20-2024 | 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Quick Reply: 1965 C10 with 6372TCA-LAB Control Arms + Air Bags + D2600