Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ceramic, organic, carbon-fiber pads???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Best Pad material???

Hey all,

I need to replace the pads on my wife's expedition and want to get something better than the Midas pads that are on there now. I have lifetime warranty rotors so I don't care if the pads tear through the rotors, it'll only cost me a couple hours to replace the rotors.

I'm looking for a pad with good stopping power and lower noise. Dust doesn't really matter to me as the truck gets washed all the time. Like I said, it doesn't matter if the pad tears through rotors, as I get them replaced for free

Which pad material is best suited for what I've described above and can you recommend a pad from local stores like Autozone, Napa, Oreilly's, or Pep boys?

Thanks in advance,

Russell

Last edited by ws6-speed; 08-13-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?

I have read a lot of posts about pads, but most just recommend a particular pad and not comparisons of pad types. Right now I'm leaning towards Napa's ceramic pads because of the better stopping power and lower noise.

Russell
Old 08-13-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Found a great comparison of pads from a 2000 police analysis. Check it out here:

http://www.nlectc.org/pdffiles/brakepads_epr2000.pdf

It looks like AC delco and Satisfied Brake are the best at normal operating temperatures, "hot pursuit" temperatures, and panic stops. They only tested the common autoparts stores brands.

What do you all think?