Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wah Wah Wah vibration at 60mph +

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wah Wah Wah vibration at 60mph +

Hi guys. Just bought a 2000 SS and am new to the site. I got the car for a very good price from friends, and expected to have to get a few things done to it.

Since I have been driving the car on the highway more, I notice that there is a "wah wah wah" sound resonating at 60 mph +. The sound continues when I let off the gas or drift in neutral, as well as when I touch the brakes. An interesting thing I found out this afternoon is that when I turn to the right (like passing) on the highway, the noise lessens or goes away. To the left does nothing. I just had new tires put on the car, and remember the sound from before as well.

I've had the balance on the tires checked, and had brake rotors checked today as well. My mechanic drove it and said that a wheel bearing going is usually more constant than what he felt. He believes that the culprit may be a driveshaft that is out of balance.

The car has the original (I think) SLP driveshaft. It had been hit in the front end and repaired previously, but I had it inspected and the frame is straight.

Sorry for the long post....I did try search, didn't find a close match...any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:09 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the rear is whining a little bit to me....Pretty normal on these cars after they've been beaten on....

Quick Reply: Wah Wah Wah vibration at 60mph +