Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to reset Parking Brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reset Parking Brake light?

A co-worker drove about half a mile with his e-brake on in his LT1 Well he came to a stop.. disengaged the brake. The parking brake light went off. He then drove away but noticed his brakes were mushy. He came to stop slowly.. then with a bit of anger he jam'd down hard on the brake pedal. While he did this he heard an audiable 'pop' and the parking brake light came back on.

Anyway, he took it into the dealership. They said the rear brakes needed to be replaced. Well he went and did that himself for $17. His parking brake light is still on though. He was told by the dealership that there's a switch in the Proportioning valve. This switch will turn on when it detects a major defect in the brake system and it's the idiot light that you need to look at your brakes.

Well, he was told by the dealership when they disconnected the PV that the light went out. So they are saying they will replace the PV for something like almost $400!!!

So what is causing this and what is needed to fix it? He said the brake fluid level is fine. He did though mention that he used C-clamps on the pistons when replacing the rear brakes. I told him he needs to bleed the brakes. (I was getting mushy brakes / ABS INOP when I used C-clamps on my car before... once I bled the brakes they were fine)

So you think a simple bleed will fix it?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:08 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Bleed the system first
Old 08-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Yup, that was the issue. He bled the system and the light went off.

Quick Reply: How to reset Parking Brake light?