Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni Sport (single) adjustable front shocks- how to adjust on car

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni Sport (single) adjustable front shocks- how to adjust on car

Just put these on. Forgot to check what position they were in. Have heard about 3/4 firm is a decent setting. Anyway, I should be able to do this with them installed, right? I understand you stick and pin and move in 1/4 turn increments (Koni says 12 1/4 turns total adjustability). What does anybody use for a pin ? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like small allen wrench is about right. Problem is I find almost no position in jacking the frame up where the slot is between a coil on the spring. Even when you can start, the natural rise of the coil interferes as you try to make a full 1/4 turn. And I can't really see the holes you are supposed to grab in the slot. When I tightened down the top nut on the shaft, the shock body wanted to naturally go clockwise with the shaft- so I held the shock body. Does this adjust the shock full firm or soft ? How much effort does it take to make the adjustment... maybe can be done with even a paper clip ? Is it moving the shaft or something internal?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used a small L-shaped allen wrench, and I don't think a paper clip is going to work! You need to be carfull when you put the shock together so it is lined up to get to the adjustment!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

As you figured out,,, a small allen wrench,,,,, preferably a long shank version. I beleive it was either a 2mm or 3mm.

I had Koni DAs and Eibach LT1 Pto Kit springs. I could not adjust the shocks on the car with those springs. As you figured out,,, the progressive spring's coils get tighter at the top. I actually removed the shocks and tried several different shock clocking positions to no avail. Well actually I could adjust the shocks,,, it just wasn't too awfull fun,,,, even with the wheel off. You will end up having to bend the wrench a bit to use it and like I said,,, it won't be no fun.

I swapped to a Ground Control coil-over kit just because of the adjusting problems. With the G.C coil-overs, I can actually adjust my shocks fairly easily now with the wheels on {car jacked up on that side}.Linear springs shouldn't have the same problem as the progressive springs. Maybe not all progressive springs have the problem but it seems both LT1 and LS1 Eibachs have it.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am still running stock springs, so maybe I have some hope... and maybe if I need, I can just put a spring compressor on to tweak it.... Is there any consistency to where the factory sets it? Did I move the adjustment by spinning the shaft? 3/4 firm sound decent for a street setup ? Many thanks for the replies.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got 'em adjusted. I found about 10.5 turns lock to lock. Set them at 8 firm. Was able to do one side with wheel on, one with wheel off. Regular small leg allen wrench, with the short leg in the shock hole... and now realize that the hole is 90 degrees or through the center line of the shock. Many thanks all.

Quick Reply: Koni Sport (single) adjustable front shocks- how to adjust on car