Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

good handling F-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
The question was could a fbody be modified to handle like a C5 Corvette. Of course with similarly modded cars it would be a different story as the C5 is a much better platform for handling. I agree about Sam though; he would probably still be the fastest if driving a Yugo!
In the December High Performance Pontiac there is a 01' WS6 that went through some suspension mods to be able to handle 1.0+ G force. Used LG Motorsports springs, lower control arms, and panhard bar (with spherical bearings). Also had Koni adjustable schocks. Of course they had problems on the track with the oil being distributed in turns with the stock oil pump. They upgrade to the LS6 oil pump. THIS IS COMPETING WITH PORSCHE CARRERAS, so it is handling better than the C5.

That answers my question as well...

The lower suspension will help at higher speeds to keep the car stable and also helps in the auto x. As for 1/4 mile it probably sucks a little....

Thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I havre spent a lot of money trying to make my F-body handle like a C5. You might get close to the same performance, but it will never be as easy to drive, or "handle" as well IMO.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have Stano Bilstiens with Eibach springs, 1LE swaybars and Vette rims with Nittos and Kumhos. Handles pretty damn good!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ground control coilovers with 500/200 liner rate coils, about 2.5" drop, koni sa's, edelbrock torque arm, bmr panhard, billet LCA and LCa relocation brackets and aggresively offset 295 avs sports on all four corners. Its very sticky. .. likes the high speeds alot better than the slow around town/city driving. In town its alot to muscle around.

Some weight reduction also helps, mines down to 3350 lbs without me
Old 09-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Talking

I just got done installing the Spohn ADJ TA w/DSL for LT's, Tubular with Poly Bushings LCA's, Adjustable Spherical/Poly Combo PHB, 32mm front (solid) & 22mm rear (solid) 4140 chrome moly sway bars. I have the Kenny Brown DD SFC's. Have to install those next. I haven't done anything to the ebgine yet. Wanted to start with the suspension. The car doesn't move at all when going around corners or fast curves. She handles awesome. No wheel hop. No noticable nose dive. No rolling to the sides at all. I am trying to build her for road coarses. I care more for the handling than I do for the power. Don't get me wrong, I am checking on a twin turbo set up. Power is nothing without control!
Old 09-25-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
I havre spent a lot of money trying to make my F-body handle like a C5. You might get close to the same performance, but it will never be as easy to drive, or "handle" as well IMO.
The IRS of the vette does wonders. Too bad you can't just stick one in the F-body.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Anything to my floating at 130? And, what would work best for lowering and stiffer cornering (best bang for the buck)?
The factory shocks are the cause of the floating feeling.
For a tight budget, Eiback Prokit and Bilstein HD all around. Revalved front Bilsteins or Koni SA front shocks are even better but raise the price.
Just Bilstein rear shocks make a huge difference at speed. Cures maybe 70% of the floating.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The factory shocks are the cause of the floating feeling.
For a tight budget, Eiback Prokit and Bilstein HD all around. Revalved front Bilsteins or Koni SA front shocks are even better but raise the price.
Just Bilstein rear shocks make a huge difference at speed. Cures maybe 70% of the floating.

Thanks

I hope I can afford the Koni but otherwise I will go with the Bilstein.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
In the December High Performance Pontiac there is a 01' WS6 that went through some suspension mods to be able to handle 1.0+ G force. Used LG Motorsports springs, lower control arms, and panhard bar (with spherical bearings). Also had Koni adjustable schocks. Of course they had problems on the track with the oil being distributed in turns with the stock oil pump. They upgrade to the LS6 oil pump. THIS IS COMPETING WITH PORSCHE CARRERAS, so it is handling better than the C5.

That answers my question as well...

The lower suspension will help at higher speeds to keep the car stable and also helps in the auto x. As for 1/4 mile it probably sucks a little....

Thanks
You do realize that the car you referenced is 98_1LE's car, right?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx
You do realize that the car you referenced is 98_1LE's car, right?

Some of it, Yes.

There was more done as well. It was a base WS6 package if I remember and using the components used in the 1LE is a tried and true method. The article did expand on it though. I think the base 1LE does like a .9 G.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Everything you ever wanted to know about the car in HPP can be found by clicking this link

It is not a WS6, but a base T/A.

Tires make more difference than anything. A 1LE Z28 on good race tires can hang with or pass a Z06. Put the same tires on the Z06, and it's going to walk away from a modded F-body.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

A fairly lightly modded F-body will handle with a pretty stock Z06 (given equal tires). All you need to do is look at our Solo2 results. Often with my ESP car I'm pretty much hanging around the Super Stock classed Z06's. My car has headers, coil-overs, Koni's, some bigger swaybars, 17x11's and a Torsen T2R differential as it's big components. All bolt on's and the suspension can be duplicated for less than $2k. A Super Stock Z06 commonly has shocks that cost more than my entire suspension, can change the front swaybar, has a lots of camber adjustment, weighs 400 pounds less, has shorter gearing and more power.

The fact I can run as close to and sometime beat SS cars with a F-body that weighs more clearly shows you can make an F-body handle extremely well. And let's remember that these are Z06's on the same r-compound tires that I have, not a standard C5 on street tires........

As for modding the Z06's, yes they go faster, but the result is less amazing than the F-body is. It's a faster car to start with. Of course a modded Z06 should pull a modded Z28 (it ought to for the extra $30k). It's apples and oranges. If you want a Vette, get a vette. Don't expect a Camaro/Firebird to ever BE a Corvette. But we can get very close to the best Vette there is and exceed the base Vette's performance.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-29-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
Everything you ever wanted to know about the car in HPP can be found by clicking this link

It is not a WS6, but a base T/A.

Tires make more difference than anything. A 1LE Z28 on good race tires can hang with or pass a Z06. Put the same tires on the Z06, and it's going to walk away from a modded F-body.
Thanks

Not a WS6. By fault. What would be the point of a WS6 and then to change all the suspension anyhow? Duh!

Good link BTW.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Teching In

1le w proformance alignment

Quick Reply: good handling F-body