Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Braking problem (suspect front rotors) but read..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004 | 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Braking problem (suspect front rotors) but read..

Here's the history:

Front brake rotors worn down and warped (autozone replacement) and the life of the HP+ pads were coming to it's limits.
I replaced it with baer eradispeed+ front rotors and stock pads (Acdelco pads as per GM # ordered) because i was sick of cleaning the wheels like at least every few days or the dust will stick to the wheels making them impossible to remove, also they go all over the side of the car too.

And it was fine until the rear stock rotors warped, puslated the car real bad under certain braking level and it's life was about to expire shortly so I replaced the rear rotors with brembo blanks and stock pads (stock rear rotors and pads lasted 87k) and they were fine.
But I'm getting suspicious that the rear brakes are doing more work now because the rear rotors looks like a normal brake should do (ever seen BMW brake rotors? they look like they've just been machined) and the rear brakes looks like that, and I took a 360 mile roundtrip 2 days ago and I see that the rear wheels are dustier than the fronts.

The front rotors looks like i took a polishing stone to the braking surface. It has a slight polished look to it but i'm afraid it might be glazed. I'm thinking since the rotor on the baer eradispeed rotor iron is harder than the stock and replacements rotor causing this condition which wouldn't happen if a harder compound pad was used.
I do remember doing the break-in prodecure for rotor seasoning and pad bedding at the beginning when they were new.

I was thinking of getting harder compound pads for the front, do serious braking runs on the highway from high speed and hopefully that'll get that polished look off the rotor and bring the braking surface to where it should be.

What should I do?
Old 09-23-2004 | 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt!!!
Old 09-25-2004 | 08:13 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Leave the brakes be . There fine . Worry more about world peace.
Old 10-19-2004 | 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

about world peace. Visualize using your turn signals!

I brought Satisfied GranSport 6 Pads which is a harder pad compound and hopefully that'll bring the rotor back to normal friction levels
Old 10-25-2004 | 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Front set of installed.

Problem solved
Old 10-25-2004 | 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

The harder pads will probably wear those expensive rotors. And, iron is pretty similar. I'm not sure that there is a magic alloy in those rotors....
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trackbird
The harder pads will probably wear those expensive rotors. And, iron is pretty similar. I'm not sure that there is a magic alloy in those rotors....
I think the Eradispeed has a harder iron rotor and with the stock ACdelco pads, it makes the rotors looks highly polished/glazed which I seem to notice more brake dust in the rears than the front. Under daily driving conidtions.
We will see how it comes out after some time on the new pads and monitor the rear brake dust levels.

So it could be possible these rotors are made for pads with more friction compound than stock.

Quick Reply: Braking problem (suspect front rotors) but read..