Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shocks money can buy for '01 WS6??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best shocks money can buy for '01 WS6??

What are the best shocks for a '01 WS6 with Eibach Pro Kit, regardless of price?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

take off the pro kit and put LG coilovers on it,
Old 09-30-2004, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno,,,,, Penske maybe? Koni DAs work for me though.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running Koni DA's. They are probably the best or in the top few. However, what are you doing with the car? You may not need the DA's, you may just need a good set of revalved Bilstiens, depending on your intended use.

What type of racing/driving do you do?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Koni.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Launching!

I had a set of KYB AGX adjustables on one of my lowered cars and they were absolutely incredible once I got the alighment right.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

If you want the best suspension, call Sam Strano at Strano parts and tell him you want the best
Old 10-13-2004, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

I am going to have to say Hal Shocks. I have them on LG Hypercoils and love the ride no matter what the setting.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:00 AM
TECH Resident

Daily driver with occasional street WOT situations and mountain weekend warrior through twisty roads. No drag racing.

Originally Posted by trackbird
What type of racing/driving do you do?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6freak
Daily driver with occasional street WOT situations and mountain weekend warrior through twisty roads. No drag racing.

You don't want Hals then. They are not designed for cornering. They are a drag shock. That leaves Koni, either DA (double adjustable...not necessary) or SA (single adjustable....excellent shocks and reasonably priced compared to the DA's). Or a set of revalved Bilstiens (call Sam Strano for those). There are really only a few options for that application for these cars.

How much do you want to spend? Or, actually, what can you afford to spend and what will you spend? (everyone wants to spend $5, but it will be just a little more than that.....).
Old 10-13-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

I want to spend up to $1,000 but the less the better, of course. I was thinking about the coil overs on all corners (that would be nice) but I guess it's a little too expensive for me at this time. What I don't want is one side higher (or lower) than the other. I've heard lots of horror stories on how uneven f-bodies sit after suspension upgrades...
Old 10-13-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

QA1 makes the best setup for our rides, they have a awesome coilover system, a little pricey though. If you already have eibach springs then opt for the adjustable shocks/struts from QA1. I first went with the eibach/ bilstein setup and I was not happy with the ride quality; although the handling was great I suggest you don't get this setup. About the uneven sit, you may or may not have problems with it. Mine is a little off, about a fingers space difference between the passenger side and drivers side in the rear, and only in the rear...???
Old 10-14-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Konis are the optimum setup for our cars, not the QA1s. Ground Control offers a coil over setup with fully adjustable ride height and custom spring rates. Still need good shocks capable of proper damping and rebound.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys for the replies. I found some info on the net about the QA1s and Konis and Bilsteins but I can't find more detailed descriptions of the G2 coilover kit.

All I found was at LMPerformance.com. At LGMotorsports.com they don't even have the kit in the LS1 online catalog

Does anyone know where I can see some pics and/or more info on the G2 coilovers?

Thanks!!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

You have to call LG motorsports.

And QA1's are drag shocks.....run away.....

For your budget, Koni SA's are probably the way to go. Excellent shocks.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Koni's are superior to any other shock you can just bolt onto the car. Depending on which Koni's you use, and there are option there, you *could* get into 4 Koni's and a set of Ground Control coil-over front/weight jacker rears for $1080.

Now, that assumes you actually need or want the coil-overs. I'll tell you what I tell everyone. You can take the big wheel gap away, or at least the hugeness of it with Koni's and stock springs. Also, a car with excellent shocks like a Koni and upgraded swaybars (and no, 32mm is not an upgrade in my mine, 35 is) will drive multiple times better than you can imagine. It's almost too much of a difference to be believeable.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Koni's are superior to any other shock you can just bolt onto the car. Depending on which Koni's you use, and there are option there, you *could* get into 4 Koni's and a set of Ground Control coil-over front/weight jacker rears for $1080.

Now, that assumes you actually need or want the coil-overs. I'll tell you what I tell everyone. You can take the big wheel gap away, or at least the hugeness of it with Koni's and stock springs. Also, a car with excellent shocks like a Koni and upgraded swaybars (and no, 32mm is not an upgrade in my mine, 35 is) will drive multiple times better than you can imagine. It's almost too much of a difference to be believeable.

Mr. Strano, I got the pro-kit installed in my car I'm planning shocks also, I saw that you recommend koni! can you please let me know ecxactly the model that you recommend for my car? I drive my car fast in mountain roads.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sgracida
Mr. Strano, I got the pro-kit installed in my car I'm planning shocks also, I saw that you recommend koni! can you please let me know ecxactly the model that you recommend for my car? I drive my car fast in mountain roads.

Thanks for your help.
That's very vague information, but unless you are doing some pretty serious racing, I would think that you would be fine with the Koni Singe Adjustables.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZaneO
That's very vague information, but unless you are doing some pretty serious racing, I would think that you would be fine with the Koni Singe Adjustables.
I'm not a racer but some friends and I like to atack the roads they drive corvettes and 350z I'm the only one with a F-Body and I would like to have a better suspesion. Those vettes and 350s handle very very good!

I have relocated brackets 35mm front sway bar 25mm rear, pro kit and that's all, I know I need a SFC but I want some shocks first to see I the shocks fix my car problem (Passenger side lower than the drivers)

Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Launching!

After talking with Sam @Strano I went with the Koni's...

Quick Reply: Best shocks money can buy for '01 WS6??