Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question Regarding Shocks and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question Regarding Shocks and Springs

Currently I have HAL QA1 12 way adjustables on all four corners with BMR lowering springs in the rear and the HAL drag springs up front, lowered down via the coilover to level the ride height out. My main question is for normal street use, how much abuse are my shocks taking with the drag springs up front? I normally drive with the front shocks on 9 or 10 out of 12 so I can't imagine it would be good for the longevity of the shock. I've got a set of stock springs that I'm wanting to put on up front to relive the shock somewhat, but still keep the spring relatively soft for weight transfer at the track. Is anyone running HALs all around with stock springs up front and lowering springs in the rear? How is the handling? Would you autocross a car with a setup like that? I like drag racing, but I'd still like to go autocrossing a few times a year just for kicks, and with these drag springs up front, I dont feel that that is something I can do. I want to fix that problem without giving up too much at the track.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:13 PM

Plenty of views but no help. I'm sure someone with a basic understanding (as thats moer than I have) about shock design can give me an answer on this one.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Is the Drag spring different than the HAL spring that comes with the F-series set? I have the front HAL that comes with the set.
All I can say is that the BMR rears are really stiff.
I had the BMR rear spring in until the other day. I couldn't stand the ride anymore. There is just too much of a difference between the HAL spring and the BMR. So I put the stock rears back in with the heater hose and they only raised the rear 3/8".
However I am thinking that the stock fronts have got to be better than the HAL drag spring for cornering. I think I'm gonna swap the fronts back in also.
You could think of it this way: If you put a stiffer spring up front (stock) and a softer spring in the rear (stock) you probably won't see much of a difference in weight transfer than the set up you have now. The rear will be able to squat more.

I don't know if this helps at all
Old 11-05-2004, 01:17 PM

Your thoughts are exactly like mine. I really want to just put the stock fronts back in as well as the stock rears (with the garden hose and minus the isolator to keep the back end down) and will eventually. The drag springs are up front, and they are extremely soft. They are almost fully compressed when the weight of the car is on them. I just dont see that being good for my front shocks, and I'm wondering if I've done any type of long-term damage to them.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I doubt that you have done any long term damage to them since they were designed to work together, but being set at 10-12 all the time I could be wrong. I just can't imagine having them set that high, they would rattle my teeth loose