Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn vs. LGM (G2)

Old 11-08-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spohn vs. LGM (G2)

I would like to get some rear suspension parts for my 2002 WS6. Basically, I can't decide whether I want to go with LG Motorsports, who makes the G2 suspension products, or Spohn. I want to go with the same company for all of my suspension (and probably even subframe connectors). Is there any drawbacks to either of these? Which is better in your opinion? Any problems with either?

I realize that a lot of people go with BMR and some with UMI (although they are new) because they are cheaper. Everything between all of these companies looks the same to me, so can someone please explain what all makes certain companies much more expensive?

My car is a daily driver with a lot of highway miles, but eventually I plan to have a heads/cam car that will see the dragstrip occasionally. Would I be better off with rod ends or poly, or the combo parts? I've searched and found some stuff, but some of it seems to contradict each other. Which is more noisy? What is the best for a street/occasional strip vehicle?

I mainly want to know if their is a piece in either of these companies suspension that is regarded as "not quite as good" I want to stick with one company, so even if they are a little bit worse overall but have no problems with any of their parts, I would probably go with them. The G2 parts are more expensive, but are they worth it? Also, how does Hotchkis compare? How do the subframe connectors from these companies compare?

Sorry, that is a TON of questions, but I would like to at least hear your comments, suggestions, and problems dealing with these products to help me choose. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had each of those parts on my car, except for UMI at one point or another.

None are perfect ...

But LGM parts are on my car now ...
Old 11-08-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you compare them at all? Especially between Spohn and G2. Did you have the complete rear suspension setup from each (LCAs, TA, PHB, etc.)? Why did you go away from Spohn and to the LG Motorsports?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Well I drive my 98 SS daily mostly highway and have Spohn full rear suspension with rod ends. On front I have G2 lower control arms with rod ends and uppers are global west with the delalum bushings. For sub frame connectors I’d go with SLP(which is what I have) or Kenny Brown they both have the diamond braced design. I drive 66 miles round trip daily and have no problem with this setup.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive got a spohn rear suspension setup and my buddy has the G2 parts. Although i like the G2 parts cause their bigger they have more appeal to me i dont know why. But the cars ride a bit different cause his G2 setup has rod ends and mine has the poly ends. I think suspension is designed to do the same thing as far as RR or QM car. But the G2 parts are bigger than my spohn
Old 11-09-2004, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by matts22
Can you compare them at all? Especially between Spohn and G2. Did you have the complete rear suspension setup from each (LCAs, TA, PHB, etc.)? Why did you go away from Spohn and to the LG Motorsports?
Let me clarify ...
A friend had a Spohn torque arm on HIS car. His experience steered me toward G2.

I prefer the G2 parts for 2 basic reasons ...

LG has a proven record, winning multiple championships in World Challenge competition in a 4th Gen Camaro. The parts were designed and proven on a road course. I'm sure those other vendors have had their parts on cars in this competitive series, I'm just not aware of it.

The LG parts are designed to use all the factory mounting points. No fabrication is required for an install. Any aftermarket part part, that will bolt on with the stock suspension, will bolt on with the LGM parts.

Now, for street use, I've had ZERO complaints about my rod ended G2 components. Any issues I have had, have been taken care of without question.

I'm curious as to why you think you need a suspension upgrade? What is the car doing that makes you think there is a problem?

Don't be lulled into making wholesale changes, based upon what MY car does with ME driving. Your car will react different and you drive different.

Make informed decisions and address any issue you have one step at a time. There is no magic formula ...
Old 11-09-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I would like to stick to one brand as much as possible. I am not ready for most of the suspension, but if I want to get part of it, I want to know what to go with.

The only thing I am getting for sure soon is SFC, which really aren't a suspension part, but I wanted to stay with the company I will do my suspension with. But I guess it really doesn't matter. I don't know if I want the SLP's because they might be in the way of the exhaust. So I was thinking about the LG's and if the fit, the v-braces. But then I have been looking at Spohn and the pictures on their website show that they tuck up REALLY well.

About the Spohn TA, I was wondering if it an advantage or not to have the mounting point change. I have read both ways, and Spohn's site says it is an advantage because it prevents binding and improves handling. It is completely bolt in too.

I will end up having a full suspension setup, but I don't want to have to replace anything. Does anyone have pictures of the LG SFC's? And nobody said anything, which is better for me: poly, rod, or combo? And Why?

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:57 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Im a big fan of Spohn. Great product and usually cheaper than anywhere else. Been running Spohn stuff on my car for 4 yrs now....
Old 11-09-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

rod end is the ultimate for handling. Free suspension articulation is key.

poly/rod end is a compromise if you are concerned about noise. There is more bind than rod/rod

poly/poly is not for handling. As the body rolls, the bushing material will attempt to roll as well, but can't because of the mounting surfaces. So it binds in the mount, increasing effective spring rate. It is the most quiet of all teh aftermarket stuff.

Before you go after adjustable suspension components or buy components that alter the factory geometry, realize that right now, the limiting factor is the grip of your tires. If this is a street car, using street tires, then all the adjustable suspension stuff in the world won't increase tire grip. You will still slide ....
Old 11-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I'm curious as to why you think you need a suspension upgrade? What is the car doing that makes you think there is a problem?

Don't be lulled into making wholesale changes, based upon what MY car does with ME driving. Your car will react different and you drive different.

Make informed decisions and address any issue you have one step at a time. There is no magic formula ...
This is good advise. If you put parts on your car that you don't need, you will sacrifice something. Everything is a compromise. The suspension parts that came on your car are a good compromise for the average street driven fbody. An upgrade could actually be a "downgrade" unless you have a specific problem to address. Put another way, you don't want race parts unless you are racing. And road race parts are different than drag race parts.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else care to comment? Thanks for the advice so far guys!
Old 11-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Launching!

I have both LG and Spohn parts on my car.

LG Parts:
--Shock tower brace
--Subframe connectors (getting installed this weekend)
--Coilovers
--Swaybars

Spohn:
--LCA's (poly/rod)
--PHR (poly/rod)
--Transmission-mounted torque arm

A couple things that are worth mentioning:

1. Most of the time, R&D occurs in house but mass production is farmed out to dedicated fabricators. Both of those aspects are crucial to suspension design. Remember the price tag isn't just about profit... you're also paying for quality.

2. It's difficult to screw up the fundamental design of, say, an LCA. It's a tube with your choice of end linkage. But the manufacturing quality can still be crap. Half-assed craftsmanship on a poly bushing housing means busted parts. Case in point, the BMR failure thread over at LS1.com.

3. Search online. Most guys out there flog their cars regularly, so when parts break they do so in a big way. So you'll see posts either bragging about it or complaining about it. Companies like BMR, Spohn, Global West, etc. are easy to search for. It's difficult to search for "G2" or "LG" because they're too short for most forum search engines. But if you're patient and you dig through several posts, you'll get an idea of each company's track record.

4. Dual rod-ends will never hurt you. Like Mitch and others have said, they allow for the most suspension travel, which is what you ALWAYS want. Binding is your enemy whether you're a drag racer, road racer, or just a street driver. At worst all they'll do is make the ride a little bumpy. On my Spohn stuff, the only time things feel particularly harsh is when I go over train tracks. The rest of the time you'll barely notice it.

Last edited by trax; 11-12-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

So if you were to buy the LCA's, PHB, and TA over again, would you go with Spohn? Would you switch over to rod-rod, even though your car is driven a lot? I have done quite a few searches and a lot of reading, but I hadn't come to a consensus yet. It seems like there are very few parts (or companies) that have a lot of complaints. Also, can you take some pictures of the subframe connectors? Are you using the v-braces? I have been looking for pictures (especially on the car) and haven't had much luck, so if you could snap a couple, that would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have all Spohn stuff and love it. Quality is top notch.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

See my sig...

I bought LGMotorsports stuff simply because it was Lou Gigliotti's business, I was familiar with his racing with the f-bodies, and I figured if anyone knew what would work great on an f-body, it would be Lou.

Case in point:

When I bought the G2 SFC's with the optional v-braces, I had it installed at this muffler shop, he is an f-body enthusiast, he and his son both own 3rd-gens, he has installed SFC's on f-bodies before, BMR's, SLP's(welded and bolt-ons), and the KB double diamond SFC's, and he told me that just LOOKING at the G2 SFC's with the v-braces, he commented on the quality and the beefy-ness of the G2's SFC's compared to the aforementioned ones, he said that there was no comparison, the G2's were made very well, he was very impressed.

I then decided to buy other G2 items due to this experience, no regrets whatsoever.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

matt, I think you're still overlooking the point that mitch, cal, and others have been trying to make. WHY are you looking to replace things and WHAT is it that you are trying to cure? These are fundamental questions that you really should ask yourself before you start bolting on a bunch of stuff.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by matts22
Well, I would like to stick to one brand as much as possible. I am NOT READY for most of the suspension, but if I want to get part of it, I want to know what to go with.

The only thing I am getting for sure soon is SFC, which really aren't a suspension part, but I wanted to stay with the company I will do my suspension with. But I guess it really doesn't matter. I don't know if I want the SLP's because they might be in the way of the exhaust. So I was thinking about the LG's and if the fit, the v-braces. But then I have been looking at Spohn and the pictures on their website show that they tuck up REALLY well.
I said in the above post that I AM NOT getting the suspension stuff yet (until I need it). But I think I want to stick to one brand, and I just wanted some comparison. I plan to do SFC soon and unless something changes, I'll just stick to the same brand for the rest of my suspension WHEN ITS TIME TO UPGRADE. The rest of this thread is just to help me learn so when it is time for suspension, I know what company I'm going to buy from. Right now, it seems that both are good, but I want as much info as possible. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
matt, I think you're still overlooking the point that mitch, cal, and others have been trying to make. WHY are you looking to replace things and WHAT is it that you are trying to cure? These are fundamental questions that you really should ask yourself before you start bolting on a bunch of stuff.

Problem: Car handles like a school bus.

That should be enough to get you started.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

How does a school bus handle?
Old 11-13-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
How does a school bus handle?
Pretty loose I'd reckon!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spohn vs. LGM (G2)