Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

clunking sound...help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking sound...help

ok, so few weeks ago i installed my bmr springs, aphr, and blistein hd's.....now going over bumps or rough road and what not in relatively slow speeds there is a kind of clunking or slight banging sound, i cant really describe it adequately, but its there....
so, any guesses as to wtf is going on? ive read in different places that polyurethane bushings are "noisy" but i dont have a clue what kind of NOISE that would be...is it possible my panhard rod is just 'noisy'?
the noise is annoying and all...but as long as theres nothign WRONG then i could make myself deal with it, but im scared something is fooked up
Old 11-21-2004, 01:24 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be a lot of different things, but not poly bushings; they make a squeaky sound kind of like an old screen door in the wind. My guess is your rear springs need to be tuned 90 degrees. I always put min in with the tails both pointing forward, but try a different orientation if they are already that way.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cal
It could be a lot of different things, but not poly bushings; they make a squeaky sound kind of like an old screen door in the wind. My guess is your rear springs need to be tuned 90 degrees. I always put min in with the tails both pointing forward, but try a different orientation if they are already that way.
hmm i was wondering if it had something to do with the way the shocks or springs were put on...
if thats the case, is it just a pain in the *** until i can fix it, or is it detrimental to anything other than my ears?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

If it's the springs it won't hurt anything.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got under there today and the freaking nuts on the aphr were totally loose...could that have been the reason for the noise? i tightened them as much as i could by hand and drove it to try and get the noise to happen and it didnt seem to do it anymore...so im stumped
tomorow i will lock-lite the **** out of the nuts
Old 11-22-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im not sure that we have the same problem but every time I hit a bump the rear end sounds loose. This has to do with the chromolly ends that I use. What kind of ends does your Adj PHB have? You may have already fixed the problem if they were loose.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Im not sure that we have the same problem but every time I hit a bump the rear end sounds loose. This has to do with the chromolly ends that I use. What kind of ends does your Adj PHB have? You may have already fixed the problem if they were loose.
is it just at slow speeds? like around parking lots and ****? probably is the same thing....im hoping getting the bolts tightend down well will solve my problem
Old 11-24-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its also when you hit bumps at high speeds.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

This problem can also be caused by LCA bolts that aren't tight enough. Once the bolt starts to feel tight, you still have to torque it more so it pinches the sleave on the inside to prevent the noise.