Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Poly bushing sets - install difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poly bushing sets - install difficult?

I recently installed a poly transmission mount and it stopped my LT headers from banging the floor boards - amazing value for the dough!

I see these full poly bushing sets at Thunder Racing ----->
for about $175. Apparently, they include all suspension bushings.

Question: On a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult are they to install (10 is very hard, 1 is a piece of cake)?

I have pickle forks, air guns, air hammers, u-joint removal set, ramps, etc., but I have never really messed with suspension parts too much before.

What else would you need - shocks, springs, sub frames, or other susupension parts?

Naturallly, the car is a street car and, therefor, I don't want anything radical that would not be suitable for street use.

Thanks..
Old 12-13-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I'm not sure it would be worth it in your case. Maybe if you already had new springs, shocks, swaybars etc... and you still felt the need to stiffen the front. I really wouldn't mess with it. It WILL make the ride harsher, or so I've heard.

Plenty of folks are out there racing in AutoX and road circuits with the stock bushings. There are more important things to do first than the bushings.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I have an SS that has a stiff spring and huge sway bar from the factory.... not sure I want a more harsh ride - I thought the bushing kit improved handling a bunch....

No????

What about a bushing kit with new shocks, and a subframe?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I have an SS that has a stiff spring and huge sway bar from the factory.... not sure I want a more harsh ride - I thought the bushing kit improved handling a bunch....

No????

What about a bushing kit with new shocks, and a subframe?
It may improve handling, but it will be at a cost of more road noise being transfered to the chassis. You will need a press, or at least a large C-clamp and some gorilla arms, to get the control arm bushings pressed in.

You would feel more of an improvement with the shocks and subframes, that with the bushings.

Quick Reply: Poly bushing sets - install difficult?