Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Traction control kicking in...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I was told by GM techs that the ABS motor was a kind of assist device to keep the solenoids from sticking. Made sense to me, I mean the brake pressures are several hundred pounds which seems like it would require massive solenoids to be able to open against that kind of pressure.

I guess they told me wrong. Maybe I need to go higher up than the techs at my dealership.

TooSlow02, were are you getting your info from? You sound like a brake system engineer.
Well....let's just say that when you go to a dealership and speak to techs, it all depends on which tech you are dealing with as to what information you receive. Some know their product, and some....don't. I have worked with a few techs that aren't quite as knowledgeable as they think they are, or that they should be. It depends on how much training they have. In cases where the manufacturer is stingy with information, some guys just take a guess. It's not their fault, they just don't have all the info they need.

Now, the solenoids don't actually have to open "against" brake system operating pressure, like fuel injectors. So they can open and close rapidly without being influenced by pressure. BTW, brake pressures can be up to a couple THOUSAND pounds . The systems are generally capable of operating in the range of 0-140 bar of pressure (around 2000 psi).

Most of my information comes from Bosch through BMW, my employer (no "yuppie" snickers, please. I work on them, I don't buy them. Too slow and expensive. Big Money Waste, IMO ).The rest comes directly from Bosch, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), and school. I'm not an engineer, but I might be if I ever get around to finishing my degree (School is WAY to expensive these days). I don't know if I can handle the cubicle life, though. I'm not sure how I might react to it after a while.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still having a hard time believing these cars can actually apply their own brakes. Can you think of a way to make it do that? Maybe I could set up a video camera to capture it happening. Or some other way to convince me?

Also, do you have any pictures or diagrams of the valving inside the big aluminum block. I can't quite picture it in my head.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JasonWW you should see how small an hydraulic pump for engine driven pump on aircrafts, they make alot of pressure anywhere from 1,500 to 5,000 psi.

To put it in basic terms, the ABS module "acts" like it has a accumulator where it stores pressure til it's needed.

Try this, get in the car and start it up, just a few seconds of starting up or rolling for the first time per engine start, step lightly on the brake pedal like your slowing down to make a turn out of your driveway, you feel a buzz for a second thru the brake pedal which is the system getting ready. Sam strano said this is perfectly normal.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

The motor could be activating just as a check done by the computer to see if it is working. It doesn't prove anything to me. I want to see it actually apply pressure to a caliper without me pushing on the pedal. If it can do that under real world conditions, then I'll be convinced.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still having a hard time believing these cars can actually apply their own brakes. Can you think of a way to make it do that? Maybe I could set up a video camera to capture it happening. Or some other way to convince me?

Also, do you have any pictures or diagrams of the valving inside the big aluminum block. I can't quite picture it in my head.
why don't you go to a parking lot on a rainy day, disconenct the throttle kickback motor, get in the car and do a quick acceleration on wet surfaces and feel the rear brakes go "ziittt zittt zittt"
Old 01-09-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking about this brings up another question. Most of the people who turn it off the TCS do so because it is a clumsy system that cuts too much power for too long before letting you get back on the throttle. It really kills your acceleration times.

Is there any way to control it? Maybe reprogram it to let you get back on the power sooner? If we could get the factory TCS to operate is a more acceptable manner, it might be worth it to keep it turned on.

I wonder if LS1edit has any control over it?

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-09-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was giving him and others a much better and more elegant solution for turning the TCS system off. You make it sound as if it is going to "set a system fault". Are you implying that pulling the fuse will cause a trouble code light to come on? That is not the case. It simply prevents the ECM from seeing the TCS circuit once the throttle is engaged at which point the ECM turns off the TCS system just as if you had pushed that little button in the console.
By setting a system fault, I mean causing a fault code to be stored in the system. It wouldn't necessarily cause a warning light. But, if there's ever a problem with it, then this fault may be misleading during diagnosis. Now, I assume you refer to the TCS BAT mini fuse, which supplies KL30 to the ASM accelerator and servo module. Pulling this fuse causes the ASR/TCS to be disabled, but it also makes the PCM think that the TCS is failing or has failed, in which case DTC C0240 will be stored. This activates the Trac Off light. If the fuse is re-installed the light will go out and normal operation will resume. But, it may also cause DTC C0901, C0266, C0238, and C0237 to be stored, which will turn on the warning indicator and won't turn it off until they are cleared.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking about this brings up another question. Most of the poeple who turn it off the TCS do so because it is a clumsy system that cuts too much power for too long before letting you get back on the throttle. It really kills your acceleration times.

Is there any way to control it? Maybe reprogram it to let you get back on the power sooner? If we could get the factory TCS to operate is a more acceptable manner, it might be worth it to keep it turned on.

Nope, it's a seperate system. A TECH2 scan tool may since it allows the user to manually open the soliends inside to bleed the ABS module.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

The best way to do it is to put the car on a lift, rev the engine to about 3000, put the trans in 2nd and drop the clutch. The wheelspin should be excessive enough to activate brake intervention.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A
JasonWW you should see how small an hydraulic pump for engine driven pump on aircrafts, they make alot of pressure anywhere from 1,500 to 5,000 psi.

To put it in basic terms, the ABS module "acts" like it has a accumulator where it stores pressure til it's needed.

Try this, get in the car and start it up, just a few seconds of starting up or rolling for the first time per engine start, step lightly on the brake pedal like your slowing down to make a turn out of your driveway, you feel a buzz for a second thru the brake pedal which is the system getting ready. Sam strano said this is perfectly normal.
Yes, the BPMV has accumulators in the pressure circuits to do just that.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A
why don't you go to a parking lot on a rainy day, disconenct the throttle kickback motor, get in the car and do a quick acceleration on wet surfaces and feel the rear brakes go "ziittt zittt zittt"
Once you unplug the TCS motor, the whole TCS system turns off. So that won't work.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talking about this brings up another question. Most of the poeple who turn it off the TCS do so because it is a clumsy system that cuts too much power for too long before letting you get back on the throttle. It really kills your acceleration times.

It is pretty clumsy. On cars with an electronic throttle control (no cable) it is much more seamless. LS1 Edit can't do anything, as far as I know nothing can. But that's not to say that it can't be done.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Once you unplug the TCS motor, the whole TCS system turns off. So that won't work.
ah ****.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TooSlow02
By setting a system fault, I mean causing a fault code to be stored in the system. It wouldn't necessarily cause a warning light. But, if there's ever a problem with it, then this fault may be misleading during diagnosis. Now, I assume you refer to the TCS BAT mini fuse, which supplies KL30 to the ASM accelerator and servo module. Pulling this fuse causes the ASR/TCS to be disabled, but it also makes the PCM think that the TCS is failing or has failed, in which case DTC C0240 will be stored. This activates the Trac Off light. If the fuse is re-installed the light will go out and normal operation will resume. But, it may also cause DTC C0901, C0266, C0238, and C0237 to be stored, which will turn on the warning indicator and won't turn it off until they are cleared.
I've done it for a year and a half with no warning light or any of those codes being stored. So I think it is fine to do. The SLP module is even better, but it costs a lot. I may get one eventually.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've done it for a year and a half with no warning light or any of those codes being stored. So I think it is fine to do. The SLP module is even better, but it costs a lot. I may get one eventually.
It won't hurt anything. I just think it's easier to use the button to shut it off. But, I don't always want it off, either.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll see if I can find a hydraulic circuit diagram.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Already have one since it came out.

The uncle with a '02 firebird bitched all day long why GM put the TCS on by default.
I told him it's for lawsuit protection on GM's part and to STFU and buy a SLP TCS module.
Then he went off bitching about the price being $70 when it came in
Old 01-09-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TooSlow02
It won't hurt anything. I just think it's easier to use the button to shut it off. But, I don't always want it off, either.
That's were you and I differ. I find it very inconvenient to push the button every time I start the engine. And when I forget and try to slide the car it pisses me off to no end. I hate it, but sometimes I will put the fuse back in if my tires are wore down and it's raining, just to play it safe. Once I get new tires, out the fuse comes. $70 is a lot. I thought they were about $50 the last time I checked over a year ago.

I'll try and get my car on a lift to check out the braking. So you say to start the wheels turning in second gear?
Old 01-09-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's were you and I differ. I find it very inconvenient to push the button every time I start the engine. And when I forget and try to slide the car it pisses me off to no end. I hate it, but sometimes I will put the fuse back in if my tires are wore down and it's raining, just to play it safe. Once I get new tires, out the fuse comes. $70 is a lot. I thought they were about $50 the last time I checked over a year ago.

I'll try and get my car on a lift to check out the braking. So you say to start the wheels turning in second gear?
You have to get the rear wheels turning pretty fast so you can actually see the wheels being braked. Just have someone stand next to the rear wheels (or you do it and have someone else drop the hammer). You'll see the rear wheels stop and spin, stop then spin, over and over. That's the brakes pulsing. Just backing off the throttle can't do that.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, I'll try it and report back.

Quick Reply: Traction control kicking in...