Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for lowering suggestions, spring and shock brands

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Looking for lowering suggestions, spring and shock brands

I am looking to lower my 97 z and was wanting to get it LOOW. With so many different brands available I was just curious what the consensus is among most. I have about 450-500 to spend.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
I am looking to lower my 97 z and was wanting to get it LOOW. With so many different brands available I was just curious what the consensus is among most. I have about 450-500 to spend.
Are you doing it just for looks, or do you plan on any aggressive driving/racing? Just for looks, I would suggest an air spring setup. You can slam it on the ground for shows or whatever reason, then flip a switch and raise it up again. For racing, I would suggest coilovers, for their adjustability (ride height, damping, etc..). Strictly street driving, lowering springs are inexpensive with a pretty good drop in ride height. Eibach Sportlines have the lowest drop that I know of. You can go lower if you cut the springs, but I wouldn't recommend going that low without the ability to go back up when you need to drive the car. As far as shocks go, you need to choose your springs first, then go with a shock that is designed for that particular spring rate. Many aftermarket shocks are tailored to the stock spring rate, or close to it. With a coilover setup, the springs and shocks are included as a package deal. Bilstein HD's are good choice if going with aftermarket lowering springs. Just get the 3rd gen shock for the rear, as the valving for the 4th gen shock is different, and many people prefer the 3rd gen valving.

Last edited by TooSlow02; 12-24-2004 at 07:00 PM.