Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Big Problem while Bleedign Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Problem while Bleedign Brakes...

Guys I had problems with my brakes on my 98 Malibu for a while.It will eat the Pads like crazy.I had to replace them like every 2 months.Then the Car started making a big noise and vibration when I used to brake from like 50mph and up.
I got an alingment done,Re-Faced the rotors,New brake pads and blead the brakes.Everything was going great,The frotn drivers side had a little air and i got it done like in 5 minutes.When I did the passsenger side,It was taking forever,I used up a big bottle of fluid and still was all air.I decided to call it quits for that night and in the process of putting my wheels back on, I had to push the piston in the caliper back in so It can fit on the rotors,and I started to hear like spitting noises.I check and under the car I had a big spot of brake fluid.I checked the car and my and my dad believed it was the Master cylinder because my passenger caliper was literaly dry!,meaning fluid was not getting to the caliper.I went and got a new one and put on.Everything was great the fiirst week,What a difference it made.BUT now, Its making the same Noise it was making in the beggining before I worked on it. Its like dry metal rubbing.The feel of the braking is different though,before it was like it was having a hard time braking or grabbing the rotors,Now its smooth but with the same noise.Today I got some fluid again thinking maybe I have some air still,But I been bleeding them for while and I cant get a stream or fluid on the line without air.Its like im sucking air from the caliper. Whats going on?? What should I do ??
Old 12-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sounds like a leak (maybe the rubber hose is worn through/craked or there is a loose/bad connection on the hardline) and seized calipers.
* Inspect all the lines/hoses/connections
* Make sure the calipers move freely on their mounts.
* Make sure that the rubber boots on the caliper pistons and sliding pins are inplace and intact
* Make sure that the sides of the caliper pistons and sliding pins are not pitted/rusted
* Grease up the sliding pins if neccessary

There could also be a problem with the master cylinder, brake distribution block, or ABS unit/pump.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-28-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:50 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the process of putting my wheels back on, I had to push the piston in the caliper back in so It can fit on the rotors,and I started to hear like spitting noises
Are you bleeding the calipers while there off the rotor?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually you should replace calipers as a pair. If the dust seals around the pistons are old or damaged they will not fully retract the pads which means they will be rubbing all the time and cause premature wear.

Quick Reply: Big Problem while Bleedign Brakes...