Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni DA's vs. Hal's

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Koni DA's vs. Hal's

How would the Koni DA's perform in terms of 1/4 mile performance VS. a Hal F or R series shock? I always thought the Koni's were more road race oriented, and the Hals were 1/4 mile oriented. I just wanted to see if the Koni's could be set-up to perform like the Hals before I sell them.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. I would rather not run an oil charged shock (like the Hal's) as I do lots of street driving. I've heard they do not perform well once they are hot. Any truth to this?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you'll ever get a Koni DA to be as "loose" as a Hal shock. You can make some adjustments to help things, but I suspect the DA's will be a little stiff for drag use (they may be functional with enough tire under the car, but not ideal). I've got DA's and I can't imagine them performing as a drag shock (drag shocks seem to let the chassis "flop around" on the launch....they allow a lot of motion. The DA's will restrict some of that).

If they are on the car, I'd try them first. That's the best way to know.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs99SS
I was wondering the same thing. I would rather not run an oil charged shock (like the Hal's) as I do lots of street driving. I've heard they do not perform well once they are hot. Any truth to this?

Yes, many oil charged shocks do not perform well when hot. I do not have any first hand experience with the Hals, but I'd not be surprised to find that to be the case with them as well.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

You might look at the Koni SA as opposed to the Koni DA.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZaneO
You might look at the Koni SA as opposed to the Koni DA.

Zane, Beast96Z already has the DA's.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Opps...I've got to start reading the posts more thoroughly
Old 01-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One advantage Konis have over other shocks/struts is a lifetime warranty. Not particularly a performance advantage but it is something to consider when buying.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Getting Koni's to act like HAL's is about the last thing I'd ever want to have happen. Koni's are real shocks. HAL's are drag shocks. Note that drag shocks share a lot of similarities with worn out shocks. 90/10, 70/30, 50/50. The last number being the rebound control. Rebound is what gives the chassis stability when you drive. Lack of rebound is what makes it move a lot an feel floppy. Note that the shocks to give you weight transfer do so by letting the nose rise extremely quickly. Why? Because they have no rebound to speak of. Great if you have a drag only car. Trouble is most folks drive their cars a lot more than drag race them. Trying to make Koni's like HAL's is like wanting you make your Z06 handle like a '53 Vette.

If you are getting at wanting the weight transfer of HAL's, Just run the Koni's full soft on all the settings. Even at that you'll have better driveability than with HAL's. Though I'd recommend a settind of about halfway on the front rebound and from full-soft to 1/2 turn up from soft on the rear. Leave the compression settings full soft.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-10-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uhh ... what does he ^ know anyway j/k lol !
Old 01-10-2005, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
How would the Koni DA's perform in terms of 1/4 mile performance VS. a Hal F or R series shock? I always thought the Koni's were more road race oriented, and the Hals were 1/4 mile oriented. I just wanted to see if the Koni's could be set-up to perform like the Hals before I sell them.
I'll trade you my QA1's for your Koni's

Quick Reply: Koni DA's vs. Hal's