Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Torque Arm Modificiation

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Torque Arm Modificiation

I am being limited for a magazine test at a drag strip to using a stock suspension with only Dr's and a poly torque arm/trans mount on my M6 2000 WS6 Formula. At the time of the test, the car will not be not be naturally aspirated and will be launched at 2500 rpm. Since an aftermarket suspension can't be used, I picked up a stock torque arm. My intent is to brace the torque arm to reduce flex. Has anyone modified the stock torque arm and if so, could you provide pictures and the material. [B]My plan was to measure the clearances on the installed stock torque arm and then weld steel rod every 6 inches or so (top to bottom in the areas that can be accessed) and then weld in thick gauge metal over top of the braces (essentially box stock torque arm).

Thanks for the help,
Randy Allen
Old 01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might what to look for a V6 torque arm. The one I've seen used, had a plated weld in the middle on it for a split shaft. It appeared to be a stronger.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it to mine. I welded 3/16" plate to the flat mounting pads for the rear end and then 1" strips of 3/16" steel along the length of it. Most of the stock arms tear away at the rear end attaching points so that should be your primary concern. It worked fine for me for a while. I recently just built a 100% custom short arm to replace my old beefed up stocker .