Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vibration above 80 pmh

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vibration above 80 pmh

I am hoping someone can help to point me in the right direction. Last weekend I was running down the Interstate. There was an object in the road that I think was a steel pipe. I was surranded by Big trucks and could not dodge the object. I drove over it on the drives side of the car. I do no think my tires hit it. The rear of the car bounced up very vilantly. The Low Traction light came on and then went back off. I was on a 1500 mile round trip and had no chose but to continue on.

Now the car has a noticable vibration in it over 80 mph. I crawled all under the car and I can not see any spot were it hit the car. This is odd to me because of the force of the hit was so hard it made the women riding with me wake up screaming thinking we had wrecked.

All I can figure is it must have hit the rear driverside tire. I have no idea how it missed the front tire. I do not see any damage on the tire, the rim, the rear end, or anything under the car. The tire wieght is still on the rim.

Please help me with any ware else to look?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your u-joint, not sure if the impact did anything but they'll vibrate the sh*t out of your car at higher speeds when they start going. could be a dented/out of balance driveshaft too. Mine started vibrating a little at hwy speed when I added a little pinion angle with my tq arm but it went away when I brought it back to zero
Old 01-19-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help. I put the car in the air today and found the problem. What ever I hit bent both rims on the driver side of the car. I can not believe it did not blow the tires off the car or that I made the whole trip without blowing them out. I called the local pontiac dealer here a new rim is 720 dollars, but they can send these off to Dallas and have them fixed for a max of 220 each.

Hay, anyone selling any 02 Ram Air 17" rims? I could buy two and use these old two for slicks, after they come back from being fixed.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can find those rims in the for sale section cheap. Be patient.

B
Old 01-20-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I will look.