Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering doesnt wanna follow

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default steering doesnt wanna follow

I know this is an age old problem with 4th gen. cars, and i read in a forum that its because of the 275's all around. My problem seems to be that whenever I am driving around town and i pass through an intersection or hit a bump/divot in the road, the front end decides it wants to go somewhere else. And by that i mean the steering wheel jerks around quite a bit. Not to the point where i'm running off the road, but its a little unnerving when i have to drive the car everyday. I just wanna know what the problem is, and what will fix it. i.e. stb, sway bar, sfc, etc.....My suspension is completely stock, and I am a noob, so this forum is probably gonna sound stupid.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

i have the same "problem"
guessing some of it is in the tires (this is a guess that happens to apply to previous cars)
and/or a lack of positive castor.
any before/after would be helpful
Old 01-24-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when i figure out how to solve this problem, ill let you know owen. STILL NEED HELP
Old 01-24-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hrsepwraddict00
I know this is an age old problem with 4th gen. cars, and i read in a forum that its because of the 275's all around. My problem seems to be that whenever I am driving around town and i pass through an intersection or hit a bump/divot in the road, the front end decides it wants to go somewhere else. And by that i mean the steering wheel jerks around quite a bit. Not to the point where i'm running off the road, but its a little unnerving when i have to drive the car everyday. I just wanna know what the problem is, and what will fix it. i.e. stb, sway bar, sfc, etc.....My suspension is completely stock, and I am a noob, so this forum is probably gonna sound stupid.
I wouldn't say it sounds stupid. Darty steering is a problem in many cars with wide tires. It's especially noticable under braking. The main problem is exactly that: wide, low profile tires. They're great for handling, but they aren't as compliant, so any movement due to road irregularities are transmitted to the car instead of being absorbed by the tire. This is amplified by the quick-ratio steering gear and suspension setup of 4th-gen F-cars. Besides installing narrower tires, there really isn't a fix for it. Increasing the caster setting will help some, but not much. The wheel/tire assembly has a little too much "leverage" against the steering gear, so it's easier for the tires to move the steering gear than on other cars. More expensive cars with wide tires (like BMW's, for instance) use double pivot front suspension and almost twice as much caster to try to control it. And the front tires are more narrow than the rears. Regardless of the car, a 275 front tire is huge. About the only thing we can do is put up with it.

Quick Reply: steering doesnt wanna follow