Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway bar install, jacks or ramps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar install, jacks or ramps?

on the bmr site there is a write up saying to use ramps... but can i use a jack and jack stands? i mean... i have those and i dont have ramps? does it matter if the suspension is loaded? if so, can i jack up the car, set it on stands, and then jack up the diffy? thanks
Old 01-26-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

It'll be kind of a bitch to get the endlinks on with the suspension unloaded.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darkecho
on the bmr site there is a write up saying to use ramps... but can i use a jack and jack stands? i mean... i have those and i dont have ramps? does it matter if the suspension is loaded? if so, can i jack up the car, set it on stands, and then jack up the diffy? thanks
It's better to tighten the end links with the suspension loaded but it's hard to get to them. It shouldn't be a problem or matter much if it's unloaded...
Old 01-27-2005, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

i used jack stands and then jacked up the diffy... i dont have a qorking torque wrench though, should i be worried about driving it? i tried to tighten it as much as possible... i think i got them all on ther pretty tight
Old 01-27-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do want to tighten the bushings down, but the end links should absolutely NOT be tightened down. I don't remember the actual torque specs (mostly because I don't have a torque wrench myself), but essentially you only want to tighten the endlinks down right to the point where they are just starting to compress the bushings, and no more than that. This is another thing that can be tough to do on an unloaded suspension, but if you tighten them down any more than that, you're end link bushings are going to break apart in short order.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When tightening end links, tighten them to the point where the bushing just starts to buldge out from the washers.

Quick Reply: Sway bar install, jacks or ramps?