Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help!!! Vibration after tranny rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Help!!! Vibration after tranny rebuild.

Hey guys I just got done having AAMCO rebuild my tranny and they did an outstanding job, Or so I thought. They fixed the problem with the tranny but no I have a strange vibration that seems to be dependent on the road. I got new tires and balanced them and it helped some. Now let me tell you what the main problem was, well about 3 days after i got the car back I was doing a hard run up to 120 mph then bamm vibration out the *** I thought the car was coming apart. I slow down and check the tires, all good so I continue to drive and it vibrating like a bitch so I get back home and try reving it while in park and it vibrates like hell. I was like WTF motor mount possibly? so i crawl underneath and what do I find. I find the bottom 2 bellhousing to block bolts are backed almost completly out of the holes.
So I torgue them down to 35 ft lbs and start her up great no vibration. So I take it down the road and now it feels like a minor vibration that wasn't there before. Whenever i hit a pothole or something now i can feel it really bad and the hatch actuatly makes a thudding noise when i hit the bump. It has never done this before I am thinking that since the Tranny was about to fall off I probably fucked all kinds of **** up under there.
It sounds like shocks to me in the rear have gone bad causing excessive amounts of vibration. Also I checked my rearend and my pinion seal is leaking really bad so that could be another thing. I was also thinking that when they put my tranny back in they didn't put the driveshaft back in it's original place so I was wondering if rotating it 180 degrees would possibly help. If so do i have to remove the complete driveshaft from the tranny and rearend then turn it 180 degrees or just unbolt it from the tranny and turn it. I have run out of options and I don't want to break the bank trying to get this problem fixed. Can anyone help me I am desperate here.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like a bolt wasn't tightened all the way to me, so just go underneath and check EVERY bolt. Then if it doesn't stop, I would take it back to AAMCO. Also, have someone check the pinion angle.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to rotate the driveshaft, there is no need to remove it from the tranny. Just unbolt it from the pinion and rotate the pinion 180 degrees, then bolt it back in.

Strange...I just had a Stage V tranny, clutch, and hydraulics installed in mine and it vibrates in gears 1-4 but not gears 5-6. I'm gonna tak emone completely apart to see what they messed up.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

I did tighten every bolt and its better but it just seems like it is very stiff in the rear. With the car stopped i can push the rear end up and down and the shocks squeak quite a bit but when i go over a bump or something it rattles so hard it sounds like the hatch window is about to break. Im thinking it may have something to do with the wheel bearing's. I have heard they can do some nasty **** when they going bad.
I also know that my pinion seal is starting leak really bad almost completly drained of fluid. I think I will take the rear cover off tonight and check for broken gears while im at it then maybe clean up the rear a bit. Anyone else think it could be a broken tranny mount or possible motor mount. I am also leaning towards replacing front and rear shocks and just lowering the ****** and getting that mod done. Anyone got any comments about wtf this could be.