Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 rotors on my T/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that since there will be more surface area per revolution that this would help stop the car faster. Obviously the surface area of the pad will stay the same, but the rotor will rub against the pad at a faster rate.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron's 00 TA
jargan04-
How does installing larger rotors help you stop better? Aren't you using the stock ls1 pads and caliper?
The larger rotor gives the brake pads a better mechanical advantage (think of using a cheater bar to break a bolt loose, the longer lever allows you to apply more force with the same amount of strength). The larger diameter of the disk acts like a longer lever to slow the car. On the Corvette, GM used 40mm front caliper pistons to help account for the "lever effect" and keep the brakes balanced with the rears. Using the F-body caliper and the larger rotor will actually shift your brake bias slightly forward (not a terrible thing on an LS1 car). So, you will see an increase in mechanical stopping ability (unless you switch to the Corvette calipers which will balance some of that out) and the increased thermal capacity (the larger rotors can absorb and radiate more heat to handle more braking energy). The extra heat capacity of the larger rotors will allow you to use your brakes more (harder) before fade will appear.

Did that make sense?

Last edited by trackbird; 02-18-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trackbird
The larger rotor gives the brake pads a better mechanical advantage (think of using a cheater bar to break a bolt loose, the longer lever allows you to apply more force with the same amount of strength). The larger diameter of the disk acts like a longer lever to slow the car. On the Corvette, GM used 40mm front caliper pistons to help account for the "lever effect" and keep the brakes balanced with the rears. Using the F-body caliper and the larger rotor will actually shift your brake bias slightly forward (not a terrible thing on an LS1 car). So, you will see an increase in mechanical stopping ability (unless you switch to the Corvette calipers which will balance some of that out) and the increased thermal capacity (the larger rotors can absorb and radiate more heat to handle more breaking energy). The extra heat capacity of the larger rotors will allow you to use your brakes more (harder) before fade will appear.

Did that make sense?
I think he said it better then I could have, Lisen to this man, he knows what he is talking about.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Let me see if I understand this right-If I go to the corvette calipers it will not help me performance anymore it will actually make it more like factory. I already have the lg kit with f-body calipers on my car.

Thanks for the help,
Adam
Old 02-18-2005, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trackbird
The larger rotor gives the brake pads a better mechanical advantage (think of using a cheater bar to break a bolt loose, the longer lever allows you to apply more force with the same amount of strength). The larger diameter of the disk acts like a longer lever to slow the car. On the Corvette, GM used 40mm front caliper pistons to help account for the "lever effect" and keep the brakes balanced with the rears. Using the F-body caliper and the larger rotor will actually shift your brake bias slightly forward (not a terrible thing on an LS1 car). So, you will see an increase in mechanical stopping ability (unless you switch to the Corvette calipers which will balance some of that out) and the increased thermal capacity (the larger rotors can absorb and radiate more heat to handle more breaking energy). The extra heat capacity of the larger rotors will allow you to use your brakes more (harder) before fade will appear.

Did that make sense?
I understand how the size of the rotor will have an effect. So what would happen if I installed the C5 calipers then?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Aaron's 00 TA
I understand how the size of the rotor will have an effect. So what would happen if I installed the C5 calipers then?

The C5 calipers use a smaller piston (actually 2 of them) and that reduces surface area which lowers clamping force (slightly). This was done to help the brake balance (front to rear) and keep the front brakes (with the larger rotors) from doing too much work. So, the F body calipers will shift the balance forward when you use them with 13" rotors (but the rear brakes on the LS1 cars are a little too helpful as it is, so that's not a bad thing). The total heat capacity is not any different between the two calipers and you'll still get the fade resistance of the larger rotors with either caliper. All you are actually doing (when changing calipers) is adjusting the ratio of work done by the front versus the rear brakes. The car will still stop with either caliper. However, with the F body calipers, the front brakes will do slightly more of the work and the rears will do slightly less, with the corvette calipers, the fronts will do slightly less work (than with the F-body calipers) and the rears will do slightly more. Technically, the Corvette caliper was designed to work with the larger rotor as a package, the problem is, it wasn't designed for this car. So, I'm not going to say that one is better than the other, just that they are different.

Did that help?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02 TA
Let me see if I understand this right-If I go to the corvette calipers it will not help me performance anymore it will actually make it more like factory. I already have the lg kit with f-body calipers on my car.

Thanks for the help,
Adam

Not exactly. It will just "shift" the balance between the front and rear brakes. The difference will be slight (I don't know if you'd notice if you were not looking for it, but you might).
Old 02-19-2005, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

so what is the best bargin/vendor price list?
adapt vette 13" rotors = who?
adapt f-body caliper(save$$ on them)who?
13" rotors to fit this swap=who?
stock f-body 17" wheel clearence issues?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

I didn't understand by what you meant for balancing of the brake. I thought you just meant the front brakes, and that was confusing me... I fully understand now though. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chief455
so what is the best bargin/vendor price list?
adapt vette 13" rotors = who?
adapt f-body caliper(save$$ on them)who?
13" rotors to fit this swap=who?
stock f-body 17" wheel clearence issues?
LG C5 Adapter bracket that allow you to run a corvete front rotor- $250 LG Motorsports, Call to order. They are the only one that makes them.

Corvette front rotors- Anyone 97-04 C5 Front rotor will work.

Fbody calipers bolt to LG Brackets so it dosent cost you anything.

Aagain any 97-04 Front Corvette rotor will work. You can as much or as little as you want on the rotors.

It will clear a 17" rim just fine with the fbody calipers. It will clear with the corvette calipers too, but you have to watch out of the wheels weights if they are on the inside.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jargan04
LG C5 Adapter bracket that allow you to run a corvete front rotor- $250 LG Motorsports, Call to order. They are the only one that makes them.

Corvette front rotors- Anyone 97-04 C5 Front rotor will work.

Fbody calipers bolt to LG Brackets so it dosent cost you anything.

Aagain any 97-04 Front Corvette rotor will work. You can as much or as little as you want on the rotors.

It will clear a 17" rim just fine with the fbody calipers. It will clear with the corvette calipers too, but you have to watch out of the wheels weights if they are on the inside.
Awesome! So $250 for the brackets, bolt them on, ??$ for 13" vette rotors, put them on, bolt back on my '00 F-body calipers with my F-body Hawk pads?
that's it? Maybe a set of vette calipers too but not needed to get the added rotor area?
thanks for the detailed reply
Old 02-19-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chief455
Awesome! So $250 for the brackets, bolt them on, ??$ for 13" vette rotors, put them on, bolt back on my '00 F-body calipers with my F-body Hawk pads?
that's it? Maybe a set of vette calipers too but not needed to get the added rotor area?
thanks for the detailed reply
Yes. All you need is the brackets and 1 pair of front rotors. Then everything just bolts on. They are very easy to put on.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was just browsing this older thread.
LG now has the brackets on their site.
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/shop/pr...0fe54653d586c4

Old 06-19-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just FYI, but I've heard that the Bob Bishop Brackets are still going to be made, but from another source. I don't have a price handy, or do I have sales information, but if anyone's interested, I'll see if I can get ahold of the info.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Restricted User

C5 brake brackets https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post3088771

Quick Reply: C5 rotors on my T/A