Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking to buy a new Torque Arm??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssPetess
That's what I am concidering, any drawbacks with this TA?
Drawbacks to the Spohn tunnel mount:

1. Hangs low as hell...if you have a lowered car, get used to dragging it...better yet, don't get it, especially if you drive your car hard around town.

2. Makes it incredibly hard to route true duals...

Can be noisy as hell too...

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, look where it mounts. I'm not skeptical of the piece itself, I'm skeptical of the thin sheet metal it is mounted to.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides what Steve just said, Spohn is also a short TA, not what I'm looking for.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Here is another route you could take, but it's $$ http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/TA/

Dan
I have the fourth production unit. A bit difficult to setup. Emulates a short arm under acceleration and a long arm under braking. Chassis brace pinches my fuel lines along the driver side of the tunnel a bit. No provision for DS loop unless you weld it on yourself. My Grotyohann y-pipe is pinched between the chassis and the chassis brace. My exhaust would need to be moved maybe 2" towards the driver side and tucked into the tunnel a bit better to avoid noises. Chassis brace mounts with 15 bolts total.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I have the fourth production unit. A bit difficult to setup. Emulates a short arm under acceleration and a long arm under braking. Chassis brace pinches my fuel lines along the driver side of the tunnel a bit. No provision for DS loop unless you weld it on yourself. My Grotyohann y-pipe is pinched between the chassis and the chassis brace. My exhaust would need to be moved maybe 2" towards the driver side and tucked into the tunnel a bit better to avoid noises. Chassis brace mounts with 15 bolts total.
Thanks for the info on that. Sounds like it was a PITA to insatll..

Dan
Old 02-26-2005, 03:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, hindsight is always 20/20. It's not that bad now that I've done it, but it was a bit frustrating being such a new item and having limited resources on proper setup. It wasn't as tedious as the first time I completely changed lifters by myself in the driveway!

There's not a lot of room to work with in the tunnel without getting in the way of the driveshaft and intermediate pipe. It is burly, though. Even with having to work through the growing pains, I'd still recommend it. I believe it's the costliest TA for the F-body I've seen, but I believe it's the only one designed to help with both braking and acceleration as well. As soon as I can get my custom y-pipe, I believe I'll be completely satisfied with it.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive got the yank for the m6 in my hand now,nice piece that will never break and will fit
any torque arm that fits in the stock clamshell,not like the bmr.When I called bmr and
asked about mounting a random tech arm on their crossmember they said there would be some modification needed.If you look close at the bmr clamshell it is a different shape than the stock one and only fits their bushing.They do not sell a different clamshell that fits the bmr crossmember and a stock shape bushing.Looks like they want to sell you a brm torque arm to go with it unless you like to modify new parts to make them fit.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really want to go with that set up as well. Question though, is it true that the trans mount torque arm is only good to 400 hp or so?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a new Torque Arm??