Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

from stock z28 to C5 wil it make a differnce??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jargan04
I dont think there will be any gain going from fbody to vette calipers. The vette ones are pressure cast and stronger. The brackets move the caliper so a C5 rotor will fit. The stock lines are fine and dont have to be longer or changed in any way. Nope the vettes have 2front and 1rear like the fbody. If you have any other question feel free to ask.

Bret
Hey thanks for the help.

How much bigger are the C5 rotors than the Fbody's?

What about the rear disc's, are the Fbody's and C5 the same size?

And why are Z06 calipers better? Are they 4 piston?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Hey thanks for the help.

How much bigger are the C5 rotors than the Fbody's?

What about the rear disc's, are the Fbody's and C5 the same size?

And why are Z06 calipers better? Are they 4 piston?
The C5's one are an inch bigger. They fill out a 17" wheel nicely. The rear's are the same. The only difference between the regular vette calipers and the Z06 ones is they are red. Yes no, they are 2piston. The z06 calipers are not better, people buy them instead of painting there caliipers, or having theres powder coated.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The C5's one are an inch bigger. They fill out a 17" wheel nicely. The rear's are the same. The only difference between the regular vette calipers and the Z06 ones is they are red. Yes no, they are 2piston. The z06 calipers are not better, people buy them instead of painting there caliipers, or having theres powder coated.
Great, thanks for the info.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Thanx Y'all for the info.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

so, you're sure about the $249 on the brackets? I have email LG over 10 times about these, and never got a response in the past. Then I called 3 times, once they didn't know what I was talking about, next time they didn't know how much, to call back, thne the 3rd time, they "like $300 or so..."
Mind you, this was a year ago, but I'm still interested in it, since I need to the do the brakes anyway, and my friend will give me his C5 rotors for free from when he upgraded to the Baer +1s on his C5.

On a side note, has anyone ever verified the myth of front calipers fitting the rears if you switch side?
i.e. FR=RL and FL=RR?
I know I mentioned this to Louis and he said he would test it out, but never heard anything!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think there will be any gain going from fbody to vette calipers. The vette ones are pressure cast and stronger. The brackets move the caliper so a C5 rotor will fit. The stock lines are fine and dont have to be longer or changed in any way. Nope the vettes have 2front and 1rear like the fbody. If you have any other question feel free to ask.

Bret
Hate to bring up an old thread but I also heard that the vette had 4 piston fronts and 2 piston rear. What kind of setup does the Z06 have? I have done numerous searches and can't find it. I just want to know if it is worth it by spending the extra $$ for Z06 calipers over the stock C5 calipers.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
Hate to bring up an old thread but I also heard that the vette had 4 piston fronts and 2 piston rear. What kind of setup does the Z06 have? I have done numerous searches and can't find it. I just want to know if it is worth it by spending the extra $$ for Z06 calipers over the stock C5 calipers.
not sure where you heard this or why, btut a simple google or search on here will tell you there is no differences between Z06 and normal C5, other than fancy red paint (powdercoat)...not to mention the Vette Calipers are basically the same casting as the F-body calipers, just diofferent material, and a really 'cool' CORVETTE cast into them.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for clearing up the difference. Why would they work so much better than f-body calipers if they are the same design? Is it just mainly the bigger brake rotors on the vette that gives it the better braking?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
Thanks for clearing up the difference. Why would they work so much better than f-body calipers if they are the same design? Is it just mainly the bigger brake rotors on the vette that gives it the better braking?

Yes, the bigger vette rotor gives the cal. more leverage.
Here is the bracket i made for my cars.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/326239-c5-brake-brackets.html
Old 06-08-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

umi has them also ----------------->>>>>>>
Old 06-08-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

my understanding is that the vette caliper is more rigid than the f-body caliper do to more material and strengthening ribs on the inside of the caliper and this gives a better performance from less deflection.
thats just info i have gotten from alot of research because ive been considering this swap.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1999 SS
my understanding is that the vette caliper is more rigid than the f-body caliper do to more material and strengthening ribs on the inside of the caliper and this gives a better performance from less deflection.
thats just info i have gotten from alot of research because ive been considering this swap.
Correct, but they are the same basic design and same size pistons.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing not mentioned here is that the LG brackets only work on LS1 spindles.

Poik, you have an LT1 so they will not fit. You could switch over to LS1 spindles and calipers and that is a very nice upgrade. The LT1 rotors are 11", LS1 are 12" and the calipers are much better.

For you to get the vette sized rotors, you would need to either get the LS1 parts and then the LG brackets
OR
get the UMI or Bob Bishop style brackets and cut your LT1 spindles. It saves you the cost of the spindles.
LG's parts

These pics are the Bob Bishop brackets. UMI has a similar style which mounts the same.

If anyone needs links to installs of either of these, let me know.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-03-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th TA 0219
not sure where you heard this or why, btut a simple google or search on here will tell you there is no differences between Z06 and normal C5, other than fancy red paint (powdercoat)...not to mention the Vette Calipers are basically the same casting as the F-body calipers, just diofferent material, and a really 'cool' CORVETTE cast into them.
Yes you are correct; the only difference in a Z06 caliper is the Red powder coat/paint. For some reason the Z06 calipers are also a few dollars cheaper then the C5's. The C5's come with a satin black look with Corvette in silver.

30th TA 0219- If you need help at all with your front brake conversion purchase I am glad to help, just email me. We offer the brackets reasonably priced, or just browse through our site for info on the conversion.

http://www.umiperformance.com/c5conv.aspx

we will be adding a few other kits with out the rotors as well as some more pictures shortly.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 08-02-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

So, at the end of the day, this is more of an eye candy upgrade than a performance upgrade? Sounds like there is also an important issue of a change in braking bias that could lead to unintended braking situations??????
Old 08-02-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by noah89
So, at the end of the day, this is more of an eye candy upgrade than a performance upgrade? Sounds like there is also an important issue of a change in braking bias that could lead to unintended braking situations??????
What are you refering to?
The bigger rotors are definetly a performance upgrade.
The vette calipers are less likely to spread under extreme heat and pressure like in roadracing.
I think some people will benefit from the vette calipers, but for street cars it may not be worth it.

I doubt you will notice the brake bias change as the braking system will dynamically alter the brake bias to fit the situation.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by noah89
Wouldn't say that. I'm running LG Motorsports brackets with a set of 24 dollar apiece Nappa rotors. I kept the factory F-body calipers and I have Hawk HP Plus pads. I kept the factory rear pads and will most likely stay with factory pads in the rear due to GM building in too much rear brake bias.

I recently won a 0-60-0 event that SSBC sponsored at the Year One Experience. I went from 60-0 in 100 feet, next quickest stopping car was a modded Viper with a 104 foot stop and 3rd quickest was a Mitsubishi Evo that was a also modded I believe and it stopped in something 108 feet. I'm pretty sure I could have bettered that distance with a bit more heat in the tires and more practice. I think the computer over compensates when the ABS kicks in. If one could hold that threshold right before the ABS kicks in, I think one would do a bit better.

Caliper brackets were bought used for 150 bucks I think, the pads were around 150 bucks and I had 50 bucks in the rotors. So 350 bucks or so and the car stopped in 100 feet from 60mph. For the money I spent, I don't think that's too awfull bad.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by psykoTA
So is there a performance gain when you go from using the fbody capilers on a C5 rotor, to using a C5 Caliper on a C5 rotor?
I could see you loosing braking power because of the vette calipers using 40mm pistons v.s. the 44mm f-body calipers. On the other hand, the vette caliper is a stronger piece.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stang killer
I could see you loosing braking power because of the vette calipers using 40mm pistons v.s. the 44mm f-body calipers. On the other hand, the vette caliper is a stronger piece.
Note: It would still be a gain of braking power of a stock system. Using a C5 caliper with a C5 rotor would simply restore a similar to stock balance to the system.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

noah89, what type of brakes and pads do you have now?

It's helpful for us to know were you are coming from. Some people with stock brakes think they need a bunch of big, expensive parts when all they need is better pads.

If the HawK HP+ or Carbotech Panther+ isn't enough for you, then you must be doing some serious road coarse racing. In that case there is no better pad that will still be streetable. You would need to swap to race pads at the track.

Quick Reply: from stock z28 to C5 wil it make a differnce??