Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

adjustable torque arm....pinion angle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default adjustable torque arm....pinion angle?

ok so i installed my bmr adjustable torque arm last night when it dawned upon me that i had no idea how to measure pinion angle. so what i did was put a jack under the rear-end in an effort to hold it in the same place as when the original arm was on there, and fit it from there.
now i realize that it will all change once the suspension is under load, but im wondering if i just be worried about my drivetrain because i keep hearing about pinion angle and how important it is for longevity. i drove it around all last night and the car feels good and had a few hard launchs and no problems.
so my question is: should i really worry about it considering i have absolutly no idea what it is set at? and is there any easy way for me to measure the angle, and should i measure with the suspension under load? i work at a shop so more than likely it will be on a lift. thank you for the help ahead of time guys!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

come on help me guys!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the suspension needs to be loaded. Do a search for pinion angle. There are a few different methods to measure it. Look for posts by Madman, most people prefer his method. I use the one from the Rossler website. I set mine at -1*. Some say to set it at -2*.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

The suspension should be loaded and level because you need to measure the angle of the trans. tail shaft and the rear end yoke then find the difference between them to come up with a -2* at the rear end.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I've used -2 for 3 years now, no adverse effects on the eqpt. FWIW>
Old 02-13-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

ok thanks guys, at the time i wasent able to find any results via search but now im having luck... thanks guys! one more question...how will not setting the angle affect my drivetrain longevity, when i have no idea what it is set at?
Old 02-13-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black00TA
ok thanks guys, at the time i wasent able to find any results via search but now im having luck... thanks guys! one more question...how will not setting the angle affect my drivetrain longevity, when i have no idea what it is set at?
If the angle is bad enough you could wear out your u-joints and wear out your pinion bearing.

Quick Reply: adjustable torque arm....pinion angle?