Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

subframes welded in....no difference???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subframes welded in....no difference???

Ok, so i did all the suspension i wanted, shocks springs wheels and tires, i got sways but now i got my boxed bmr sfcs and had them welded in for 50 bucks at an exhaust shop..

i really dont know what im looking for, anyway to see if they did anything, anyway to test them out? cause i really dont think i can feel anything... maybe the shop welded them in wrong? i dont know, it was an exhaust shop, i actually had to go back cause he bolted them in the rear with the LCA bolt, then they aligned them on where they are supposed to go in the front, and they welded it in, then i got to work and realized he never welded the rear part, so i drove back, he put it back on the lift (which was a drive on lift, all the tires were on the "ground") and did the rears, im not sure if he welded all of the corners like he was supposed to but im pretty sure he got most of it... what do u guys think, how can i see if these things really help?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

I'm having Speed Inc. do my BMR's next week some time, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Things I noticed with mine were:

It feels stiffer.
Rattles and squeaks are gone.
It corners better.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

speed inc did my boxed umi and i kinda notice a difference the car hooks better, rattles and squeaks are gone, car feels stiffer and they helped my see that i need new shocks and springs so thats on order soon.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkecho
cause i really dont think i can feel anything
Me neither ... when I put them on years ago I was expecting some incredible difference in handling.

I never felt it.

Of course, maybe my half-assed *** isn't as sensitive as others ...
Old 02-17-2005, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

i also noticed that there is a new squeak coming from right behind me in the driver seat, its like the noise u get when a bushing is dry or whatever.. its that sqeaky rubber baloon noise lol
Old 02-18-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I noticed straighter launches and it took care of some squeaks
Old 02-19-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i also noticed that there is a new squeak coming from right behind me in the driver seat, its like the noise u get when a bushing is dry or whatever.. its that sqeaky rubber baloon noise lol
I also noticed a few mores squeaks since mine were installed.
On the plus side it is a little stiffer and don't lean as much going around turns.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed a major difference in handling and traction. I went with KB DD's. I also have a t-top so the addition of the SFC's were a major impact.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are wrong ways to install SFC and it is true that more than half of the people that get them installed do it wrong. I had mine installed the right way and could tell less than a 1/4mile away from the shop.

I would say if you had some local muffler shop do it, it is wrong. Was the suspension preloaded. how did they install them what lift where are the welds. With out losing a finger, but your finger in the t-top bolt down location and drive slow over small bumps. Feel the flex. Mine stock would hurt my finger and almost close the 1/4" gap after the SFC it only flexes a little. I know it isn't the best way but it worked for me?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

the car was on a drive on ramp, so the suspension was loaded. heres what they did..

-drive car onto ramps, lift
-remove bolt to LCA, put that side of the SFC on and put the bolt back through
-tighten LCA bolt
-do same to other side, so now i have two bolted up sfcs dangling under my car,
-then he took one side, swung it the side that isnt hinged to the LCA bolt and positioned it wherever it was supposed to go, then he welded it.
-same to other side

i then drove to work, realized that he didnt do the rears, drove back, put the car back on the ramp, lifted, welded the rears.

and i dont have Ttops so that test doesnt work for me... also, what am i looking for when i go over railroad tracks? i go over a set everyday, im not sure what im looking for...

the guy didnt sand off the paint when he welded, is that totally necessary, is it possible that the welds broke and the sfcs arent doing anything for me now. whats the deal
Old 02-23-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

the guy didnt sand off the paint when he welded, is that totally necessary, is it possible that the welds broke and the sfcs arent doing anything for me now.
I'm not an expert at welding or anything, but i'm pretty sure that crap (like paint or undercoating) in your welds caused by not cleaning or grinding both surfaces results in a weaker weld. At last that is what I was taught in metal shop class in high school when I used a stick welder.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

got BMR weld in sfc and i didnt feel a differance at all as far as handling is concerned....but its the old story...some people claim to feel it, others dont. i dunno.
only thing i did notice was that pre-subframes i had a little water leak where the driverside t-top met the frame up front, that no longer leaked after the fact so i suppose they did some improovement.

Quick Reply: subframes welded in....no difference???