Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caster/Camber Plates

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster/Camber Plates

Do they make caster/camber plates for a LS1 Trans Am? And if so, could you please give me a few manufacturers that make them? I lowered my car 1.8 inches and I think that my camber is a little off. I haven't taken it to see how bad it is yet, but I can tell that its off a little. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Tami
Old 02-20-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1chik
Do they make caster/camber plates for a LS1 Trans Am? And if so, could you please give me a few manufacturers that make them? I lowered my car 1.8 inches and I think that my camber is a little off. I haven't taken it to see how bad it is yet, but I can tell that its off a little. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Tami
Whoa!!!!! You lowered the car without aligning it????????

Get it to a shop as soon as possible and hopefully without it being far away.

Likely you are frying your tires. I would guess you have 3/4 inch total toe out with that big a drop. You have no need for camber/caster plates, you simply need an alignment. A lowered car can get over 2 deg negative with a lowered car and you can't run that much without killing the inside of the tires.

Align the car with 0.3 deg negative camber, max postive caster given the aforementioned and zero total toe.

That is a slightly more aggressive alignment than stock but won't hurt the tires.

Perry
Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1chik
Tami
Caster/Camber plates are only needed for cars with no factory adjustment for camber and caster. All F-bodies from '93-'02 are adjustable from the factory, by moving the lower control arm. Just have it aligned.

Oh, BTW Perry has a good point; have the alignment shop set the camber slightly negative. If it gets set back to factory specs there is a good chance that your front tires will wear on the outside shoulder.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks! Yeah I was in a little hurry when we lowered the car. But no worries, i will have it to the shop and have that fixed. thanks for your help again.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Castor/Camber plates are also used on 3rd gen Camaros/Firebirds to allow more adjustment to the front suspension. They are adjustable, but the plates will give you more range to adjust the suspension. There is no way to make them for a 4th gen car, and a good shop should be able to fix you up as it is.

Quick Reply: Caster/Camber Plates