Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Heavy Metallic Grinding From E-brake Pads!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heavy Metallic Grinding From E-brake Pads!

I thought my rear end was on it's way out for the last 10 times I've driven the car. It has a scraping sound relative to speed. I've narrowed it down to the e brake pads being worn. Ordered some new ones, but I'm not sure how to install that mess. Searches haven't yielded the answer. Any tips, links, or suggestions? Any help is really appreciated!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Banned

Has ANYONE ever changed the parking brake shoes? TTT
Old 02-26-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Has ANYONE ever changed the parking brake shoes? TTT
The parking brake shoes are just mini-drum brakes. They are retained by small lockshafts with tension springs. You release them by turning them 90 degrees in either direction. Then you pry off the springs (wear safety glasses, they might get away from you) and the shoes will come free. Have both rotors off at the same time but do one side at a time so you can see where the hardware goes back on by checking the other side. It looks harder than it is, just take your time. After you have the new shoes on, screw the star adjuster in (make it shorter) if you have trouble sliding the rotor on.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you ever have to. I mean they're used to hold a car still, not to stop it
Old 03-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dano 00TA
Why would you ever have to. I mean they're used to hold a car still, not to stop it
The reason I need to change? Because I bought the car used. The a$$hole previous owner ran the car with the parking brake on or out of adjustment. They were worn to nothing and are making a scraping sound when the car is in motion. I already changed the shoes and adjusted the parking brake- problem solved.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:07 PM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dano 00TA

LOL!

I was just looking at mine last night just to get a feel of what I was getting into, doesn't look too tough.

Why would you ever have to.
>>>
I'm in the same boat, I have to replace mine as well. 30,000 miles

I do use my e-brake when I drive sometimes...
It can make the driving experience more fun in certain situations.

I must admit, the E-brake on these crappy F bodies have got to be one of the worst setups I have seen.
I'll take the brakes off my 90 RX-7 Turbo anyday over these things they call brakes on these cars.

$25 per side WTF!!! and they seem to be only available from a dealer, at least in my tiny part of the woods.

Why couldn't they just use the caliper???
I called my local parts stores (Autozone/Napa included ) I told them I need "rear brake shoes" for my ride...you should have heard some of the responses I got. LOL!

3 sets of brakes on one car, 2 disc and 1 drum, now that's just retarded!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

this sound was constant ? i have a similar sound sounds like metal turning from the rear when moving. wasnt sure if it was brakes or some bearing in the rear

Quick Reply: Heavy Metallic Grinding From E-brake Pads!