Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Grinding/squeaking from rear brakes

Old 03-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding/squeaking from rear brakes

My car has been doing this on and off for about a year now and I can't figure it out. When I brake, and am coming to a stop, it makes a cyclic grind/squeak in pulses from the rear brakes only. The rear brakes are original with 60,000 miles. I inspected them last year and there is tons of pad left and the rotors did not have any rough spots at all. The weird thing is that is does it for a while, then goes away for a month, only to come back again. I took apart the brakes, cleaned them, reinstalled, and it came back again. I can't for the life of me figure out what it is since the brakes seem fine. I have a little warpage/pulsating when stopping, which has to be the rear since the front has new rotors and pads.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's pulsing it means that your rotors are warped, which would cause a squeal as well. The stock rotors are weak as hell and notorious for warping. Probably just have the rotors turned and get some new pads on the back and it should help/cure that. Otherwise you may need new rotors.

Search this Thread