Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

DMS or Hotchkis springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DMS or Hotchkis springs

Has anyone here had both springs? What did you think about each one? I need to decide which springs to get tonight and order them. I'll be using the Bilstein HDs with the springs.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to choose between these two also and went with the Hotchkis because DMS has shitty customer service. They never replied to my questions. Both springs are pretty much the same. I love my Hotchkis, but they are a little stiff. If you want a comfort spring don't get these.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my DMS springs, but on the TA, I feel there is a little too much rake to the front than I like.

I am stuck between liking the drop in wheel gap for the fronts and wanting to get a lower-style spring for the rears OR, wanting to salvage the clearance below by keeping the rears, and swapping the fronts for a spring like the BMR (with 1" drop).

Other than that most people tend to like the raked look on our cars, and, DMS is a pretty good spring.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Between those two, Hotchkis everytime IMHO. Less progressive rate being the biggest reason and slightly softer ultimate rates which is easier to damp. And progressives sound great, but in reality aren't. You'll never find a serious car with progressives unless they have a active type damper that can account for changes in spring rate (remembering that shocks are spring dampers) on the fly as the spring compresses and changes rate.

That said, while popular, Bilstein HD's are not intended or even recommended for lowering springs. Take a gander here: http://www.bilstein.com/pdf/PassengerCars.pdf and read the note at the top of page 1.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: DMS or Hotchkis springs