Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question About Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question About Brakes

I'm driving home to vistit this next week and the total milage is 2200 miles. My new drilled rotors and brake pads won't be here by then. I need new brakes bad too. So my question is if I just buy some cheap *** pads for $25.00 I would think that would get me through the trip? My new rotors and pads will be in by the time I return, so I will be able to change them right away. I won't be turning the rotors or anything, just new pads. Is there a problem with doing that? Thanks for the info.

Nathan
Old 03-09-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gallitin
I'm driving home to vistit this next week and the total milage is 2200 miles. My new drilled rotors and brake pads won't be here by then. I need new brakes bad too. So my question is if I just buy some cheap *** pads for $25.00 I would think that would get me through the trip? My new rotors and pads will be in by the time I return, so I will be able to change them right away. I won't be turning the rotors or anything, just new pads. Is there a problem with doing that? Thanks for the info.

Nathan
You shouldn't have a problem doing that, as long as the rotors haven't been damaged by the pad backing plates touching them.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Launching!

No, they are not that bad yet, but I think the rotors may be glazed. With the new pads will they stop better?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gallitin
No, they are not that bad yet, but I think the rotors may be glazed. With the new pads will they stop better?
It might. It depends on what pad you use. Cheap *** pads won't stop any better that the OEM pad, especially if the rotors are glazed. You could always sand the face of the rotor to remove the glazing, or just throw the pads on and let them wear it off.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can pad slap em, after you put them on go out and do some 60-0s untill the brakes fade and stink may smoke too. That will reduce the galzing and seat the pads well enough for what your doing. It will severly hamper pad life due to the "improper" break in but hell if their only temp you never know the diffrence
Old 03-09-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Turn the rotors $7 each, and replace the pads.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Only $14.00 to turn them? I didn't know it was that cheap. I assume you mean taking them to a place like Auto Zone?
Old 03-09-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Well at the local mom & pop parts store here, thats what it costs. I trust them more than I do AutoZone.

Quick Reply: Question About Brakes