Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Coilover shocks for street/handling...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover shocks for street/handling...

...for a Volvo... sorry about that--but bear with me. Here's the deal; I'm in the process of converting the current tranverse leaf spring independent suspension in the back of a Volvo station wagon ( ) to a coilover configuration. The technical part is out of the way, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the proper shock, and of all the forums I've looked around at, I think you guys may be the most knowledgeable.

As far as dimension, mounting configuration and price-point goes, this is preciesly what I need: http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...R4855B&FROM=MG

However, from the reading I've done, it seems like UA1 shocks are more suited for drag then snappy handling (and the car will have fairly stiff springs in the back). Is this wrong? Will I get good damping from a proma star on a mid-weight car with some heavier springs? The car will see the strip occasionally, but mostly will be a daily driver with stiff handling.

I've heard some things about Konis, but their site hasn't been very helpful in pinpointing a good shock.

So, any opinions on QA1's for this particular application, or other shock suggestions (or even where to buy anything? It's like summit and jegs are the only dealers on the planet who sell anything for custom projects...)

thanks for any help guys...
Old 03-16-2005, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.pitstopusa.com
www.stockcarproducts.com

You can pick and chose which shock you want as far as length and valving.
You can buy a threaded collar kit to go over that shock.
You can buy numerous lengths and rate of springs to fit that collar.

HTH
Old 03-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Teching In

From those two dealers, their shortest shocks have a 13" compressed length. I'll need about a 10-11in compressed length. And as far as shock brands, AFCO, Pro... whats a decent shock for street driving? Looks like they arent marketing the afco's and pro's for just drag
Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Damn you got me with that Volvo thing!!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shortest advertised on their website. The sites cater to dirt and asphalt oval racers ... not Volvo drag racers.

Call them ... they have access to all kinds of parts ...

Quick Reply: Coilover shocks for street/handling...