Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car vibrates while braking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car vibrates while braking...

..but only after i get on it. like on the highway, after gunnin it, when i hit the brakes the whole car vibrates..like a pulsation..any ideas?
Old 03-19-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well mine does this too. And no it is not normal. I had a Dakota and mine did this, well it got progressively worse, because the damage to my rotors was progressive. Wat you describe sounds like what I have in my Trans Am. Warped rotors, if you don't change them out or at lest get them turned and serviced, you'll be in deep poopy. After the pads eat away all the rotor material and get down to the inner vents/ ribbing, it sends to eat the pads to bits, and then your calipers. At this point it is not a serious problem if it isn't violent shaking, but just subtle, but it can be very damaging and very expensive. I recommend replacing the rotors for some more heavy duty ones. You can by simple replacements, but personally I would beef it up. You can get some Baer Eradispeeds, or Powerslots, both good brands. Or go really well and get C5 rotors from LGMotorsports, which I plan to get. It has performance C5 rotors, and a bracket that extends out your existing calipers to reach around the new larger C5 rotors. It uses the stock calipers and for a comfortable non squeeky ride you may still use stock pads. It all depends on how much money you want to spend.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have warped rotors, happened to me before.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Another vote for new rotors... yours are warped.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

As noted above, you probably have warped rotors - its not uncommon. The correct/thorough way to check is to measure the lateral runout on your rotors while they're mounted on the vehicle. My guess (emphasis on GUESS), though, is that if you just replace the front rotors with some Brembo blanks (cough...cough... http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...emium&x=83&y=8 ) you'll see the problem go away.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

welcome to crally T/A rotors. mine are warped too. got Brembo blanks from tire rack to fix that.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Will my warranty cover this? I have a bumper to bumper warranty until 90k miles! I guess ill find out on tuesday when I stop by my dealership. I hope they don't try to blame it on my rims or something.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your warranty "should" cover it.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Banned

Warranty covered my warp rotors 3 or 4 times. Stock rotors are garbage and driving easy won't stop you from warping them. I ended up converting to Corvette brakes in the front to solve it.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

get new rotors or have the ones that you have now turned/resurfaced. Get some new pads too or you'll just mess up the rotors again alot sooner.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Banned

rotors warped?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Mud
Staging Lane

Wouldn't count on the warranty especially if you have exceeded factory warranty. Many aftermarket warranties will only cover drive train which usually means motor and trans. But hope yours will cover brakes.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He did say bumper to bumper warranty and I agree with the others - warped rotors. Happened to me a few weeks ago. Mine were already old so I just bought new ones.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

I'm gonna take it to the dealer tomorrow, my only free time..car is getting worse now, it damn near vibrates everytime I brake! Yah I purchased a warranty that covers damn near everything which helps in this case..but sucks cuz I cant touch my motor, trans o nothing till like 90k miles!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darkspoon
..but only after i get on it. like on the highway, after gunnin it, when i hit the brakes the whole car vibrates..like a pulsation..any ideas?

it's the rotors. they are warped... My '99Z had new GM rotors installed when I bought it (the second set at 30K miles) ... it took only 6 months and they warped.... brake parts are considered 'normal wear' and are usually not covered by warranty...
I bought the $40 rotors at AutoZone and new pads - these are installed for 40K miles with no problems whatsoever.... it's not always only the most expensive solution that works best... good luck
Old 03-22-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yah I purchased a warranty that covers damn near everything which helps in this case..but sucks cuz I cant touch my motor, trans o nothing till like 90k miles!
I did the same thing when I bought my car. It didn't take long before I started doing mods though. I think its against the law or something to have a bone stock f-body. Just do what I did. Keep the stock parts and if something breaks, put the stockers back on and then take it in.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Argh well the dealership won't replace my rotors. A wear 'n tear item they say.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Argh well the dealership won't replace my rotors. A wear 'n tear item they say.
They would give you the same $hiddy rotors that you already have..... or skim cut the warped ones..... go to AutoZone, rotors and pads are $120 - 40000 miles on mine with no problems....

Quick Reply: Car vibrates while braking...