Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cutting coils

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I just noticed what you were saying. They are not completely compressing their shocks. They do have compression and rebound. OEMs design their suspensions to compress the bumpstops fully before running out of shock travel.

If anyone is interested, I did a little write-up called "Stock Shock and Suspension Travel Specs" for the 4th gen F-body. It gives details on the shock travel vs. bumpstop under compression and so forth.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496920
Yes, I realize the shocks are not fully compressed. But cutting the springs 3" will compress the shocks down so far that they lose their normal compression/rebound capabilities. This is why you see the bodies of the cars moving up and down with bumps and potholes because there is no dampening inbetween. I know you know this because it's obvious you're very knowledgable, I was just pointing it out for the others.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Yes, I realize the shocks are not fully compressed. But cutting the springs 3" will compress the shocks down so far that they lose their normal compression/rebound capabilities. This is why you see the bodies of the cars moving up and down with bumps and potholes because there is no dampening inbetween. I know you know this because it's obvious you're very knowledgable, I was just pointing it out for the others.
I was thinking the bouncing was caused by them riding on the bumpstops. Theoretically, shocks will retain their damping settings even if they are operating at one end or another of their usable range. That is unless the shock is bottomed out and you hit a bump. That would probably break the internal parts of the shock and again the car would bounce all over the place.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had good results cutting my front OEM springs with a grinder/cut off disk. As mentioned above, the spring rate is only slightly changed and I doubt anyone would notice a SOP feel. I was surprised at how much drop occured after cutting ~ 1/2 coil.

After you cut the coil, grind the bottom flat so that it rests flush on the perch.

I now have 1LE front springs, but will likely switch back to the cut stock springs.

Lower the rear easily by removing the upper spring bushing. Some people slide a 5/8 heater hose over the upper coil.

Quick Reply: cutting coils