Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Outer tie rod end and hub bearing..wrong forum??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Outer tie rod end and hub bearing..wrong forum??

I know this belongs under this section but i dont know about the forum, here's the deal, my passenger side needs a new outer tie rod end, and hub bearing, does anybody know how hard it is to replace these? do i need any special tools, and anybody have a et on how long it would take? any help would be appreciated, maybe a write up? Thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's not too hard to do this. The outer tie rod is the easiest. Just undo the adjustment nut on the threads, undo the cotterpin and nut on the ball joint in the spindle and then (since you aren't going to use it again) hammer in down and out. Once it pops loose. Mark or count the threads as you rotate it off the shaft. Screw the new one on the same distance. The toe will be vaguely close, enough to get you to an alignment shop and you WILL need an alignment when done. Lock both nuts and use a NEW cotter pin.

The hub involves removing the brakes. You should be able to undo only the 15mm bolts that hold the caliper brackets on, not the caliper itself, but the bracket. Then the whole brake assembly can be set aside and supported with a wire coat hanger to keep pressure on the brake line. Pop the rotor off, unplug the ABS sensor on the back and then undo the 4 bolts holding the hub on.

When putting it back together, torque the 2 brake bolts to 78ft lbs and maybe use locktite. The hub bolts need to be tight as well, but I don't know the specs off hand.

If it sounds too hard, I would suggest getting a Haynes or Chilton book at your local auto parts store.

Seeing as how you have never done this before, I would plan 2-3 hours, maybe more if you have to leave and get parts.

BTW here is the proper way to pop a ball joint or tie rod end. The same priciple applies.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks alot man, i think i can handle it

Quick Reply: Outer tie rod end and hub bearing..wrong forum??