Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn tq arm - is this all my noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spohn tq arm - is this all my noise?

I just had a Strange rear, Koni SA shocks, rotors/pads, a PT4000 converter and switched my BMR tq arm for a Spohn one. The car vibrates up to 30 mph, rattles on deceleration, is clunky etc. All even when out of gear coasting. Is the Spohn solid mounting that much more tough on the street than the trans mounted BMR?
Old 04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

I had a poly mounted Spohn on my car and it clunked a lot! I tighened up the front mounting bolts beyond the recommended torque and it helped, but that thing always clunked and tightening didn't effect the vibration. Since I didn't have the solid mount I can't comment on it. But there was more vibration in the car even with the poly mount than stock. I think the biggest problem is that instead of two rubber mounts (the tranny mount and the torque arm to tranny mount), you now have zero driveline isolation AND you have mounted it right under your seat, so you pretty much feel everything. So the answer to your question, yes, its brutal on the street.

I took mine off and went back to stock for now. I got sick of people getting in my car and asking what that "clunk" was everytime I shifted gears. Rides like new... of course that includes the horrible wheel hop. I'm going to try a tranny mounted torque arm (probably non-adjustable) and some rod/poly control arms next time around, and see if that can cure the wheel hop and not be as harsh.

Good luck
Old 04-05-2005, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by T-hawk
So the answer to your question, yes, its brutal on the street.

I'm going to try a tranny mounted torque arm (probably non-adjustable) and some rod/poly control arms next time around, and see if that can cure the wheel hop and not be as harsh.

Good luck
Thanks! I just ordered the poly end for the Spohn arm too

I'll share this with you: In my A4 with 3.73/Nitto's and 4400rpm launches, the BMR poly/trans mount adjustable arm with poly non adjustable lower control arms and adjustable panhard it was smooth, quiet and did not hop. I'd say stay with poly and away from solid ends for the street after this lesson.
When I put SLP bolt in sfc, I got some road clunck - but well within worth trade for the improved rigid feel of the car!
I will try the Spohn arm with poly for a few track passes then put back the BMR for street duty. I simply love the idea of taking the stress of a torque arm off the transmission!