Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard Rod - Nut / bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panhard Rod - Nut / bolt

'm replacing the Bolt / Nut for the panhard... (original one fell off somewhere)

The stock bolt (at least that's what I removed) was a shoulder bolt. It was 9/16 right on the head, but a smaller piece half way through. I bought the 9/16 Bolt from Lowes (Grade 8 - apparently best for automotive use) but its a shouldered bolt that's 9/16 all the way through.

Now the 9/16 Fits nice inside the panhard rod... and it fits the first entry point for the bolt in the rearend.

The Stock bolt doesn't quite sit right. It has play on it when installed. Meaning it "twist" as you can see, obviously, the smaller bolt doesn't fit inside the panhard quite well to keep it from "twisting." I'm thinking that this is what made the original nut/bolt come off since this play can't be good.

My question is... doesn't anyone know if this was by design that it should twist??? Or was the stock panhard rod "sized - internally " the same way as the nut is? I'm thinking of drilling the other end of the hole to make the 9/16 bolt go all the way through.

Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

??? What brand PHR... are you referring to a single adjustable where the adjustment is in the center? or are you referring to heim joints?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a brand new GM bolt I can send you for $1 if you need one.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Its the BMR Adj panhard... but the bolt I'm referring to is the one that mounts to the bracket(passenger side) and the rear end (driver side).

The concern is really not on the panhard... but on the mounting points and bolt used. The entry point on the bolt is a 9/16 but the exit is a 16MM (stock setup).....