Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Line lock installation w/pics (no ABS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Line lock installation w/pics (no ABS)

Here's my line lock installation without ABS. I reused most of the factory lines or I could have made the plumbing somewhat cleaner.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/...8image0002.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/...8image0001.jpg

Here's with just the ABS removed and no line lock using factory lines.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/absdel.jpg

I have the Hurst line lock. I chose this one because I felt the stainless steel body and aluminum holding bracket was top quality. I'm sure there are others that are equal. It did come with an indicator light which is a must and a cheezy switch with I replaced with a switch of my preference. Didn't want to mount it on the adjustable steering wheel lever. I have it mounted in my console. If anybody wants to see those pics email me.

I have only tried it in the driveway but it does get the job done.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cleans up the engine bay and removes some weight doesn't it.

I am hoping that that fitting adapters aren't compression fittings using ferrules. Compression fittings w/ferrules are not meant for a fluid braking system w/high pressures and vibration. This is why you'll NEVER see them on a fluid based automobile system.

Fluid automobile braking systems generally use either double flare or bubble flare. A proportioning valve may have been a good investment for you also.

Steve
Old 04-08-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good , how long did install take you ?
Old 04-09-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by steve10
Cleans up the engine bay and removes some weight doesn't it.

I am hoping that that fitting adapters aren't compression fittings using ferrules. Compression fittings w/ferrules are not meant for a fluid braking system w/high pressures and vibration. This is why you'll NEVER see them on a fluid based automobile system.

Fluid automobile braking systems generally use either double flare or bubble flare. A proportioning valve may have been a good investment for you also.

Steve
Yes they are high pressure stainless steel Swageloc fittings with ferrules. I know they are not meant for brake systems but I used them for years on pressure valves up to 6000 psi in systems with much more vibration than car brakes. I have already used three of them on the car for about two years without incident or leakage.

I did some research to find the correct brake fittings without success. I then decided to go with what I knew would work.

Last edited by Larry; 04-09-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00Z28 Camaro
looks good , how long did install take you ?
I work pretty slow but I could probably do the install in about an hour or so if I pushed myself. I did have to take the alternator off to drill the holes for mounting the solenoid. An angle drill would have prevented that task. Or should I have decided to mount it up on top fender it would have taken much less time. I just wanted it hidden and the plumbing to look as good as I could make it without replacing all the lines.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice. do you have a part # for that? i like the material and components they use.

thanks,
Dave
Old 04-09-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
nice. do you have a part # for that? i like the material and components they use.

thanks,
Dave
Hurst part number 1745000

Here's a link to a pic: http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...h.asp?N=400134

I also like the fact that they have three discharge ports. Makes plumbing easier too. I used two holes and plugged one. Other solenoids may have the same options but I don't know for sure.

Quick Reply: Line lock installation w/pics (no ABS)