Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake leaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake leaks

I repainted my calipars yesterday and took them off the car. I started on the rear pass. side and I didn't have a single problem. on the rear driver side I ran into a problem. I put it all back together and I had a leak where the line bolts to the calipar. I took it apart a few times and put it back together and I couldn't tell why it was leaking. Everything looked fine. I went the the autoparts store and picked up a new copper washer thinking it was the problem. I put the new one on and it still leaked (less but was still leaking). I ended up pulling out my bigger ratchet and realing tightening the bolt down ( with my normal rachet I tightened it as much as I could) and now it doesn't look like its leaking. It also happened on the front driverside but I used the larger ratchet again and now its bone dry. The rear still bothers me a bit so I'm keeping my eye on it. Once I got to the front pass side I said I would just paint it on the car so I wouldn't have any more problems. So my question is has anyone run into this problem before? Do the bolts have to be tightened down a lot to keep from leaking? I was almost worried about stripping them out.l
Old 04-10-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It requires 2 crush seals, not 1.

1 between the banjo bolt head and the banjo fitting and 1 between the banjo fitting and the caliper.

And if you re-used the old seals, count yourself lucky ... typically they don't seal once they are torqued.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
It requires 2 crush seals, not 1.

1 between the banjo bolt head and the banjo fitting and 1 between the banjo fitting and the caliper.

And if you re-used the old seals, count yourself lucky ... typically they don't seal once they are torqued.

Yeah I know it has two but i thought it was only the one that was causing the leak. It did have burr on it so I replaced it. I don't see why they can't be reused. On my truck I reused the washers and it worked fine no leaks on my old car also. This is the 1st time I've run into a problem

When I went and picked up a new one They didn't even have the same size. The one that was close worked out fine but it was a little bigger and just fit in the groove on the calipar. That was all the sizes that they carried too.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same reason you don't reuse head gaskets or intake gaskets ... you might get lucky sometimes ...

And torquing the **** out of a banjo bolt and possibly ruining a caliper is not worth the $.25 for a new seal ...