Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway Bar Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar Install Questions

I just installed my spohn front and rear sway bars. i greased up the bushings and everything was clean. has anyone else done this install? on my other spohn products, they say, put the car on a lift, then install everything hand tight, then lower to the ground (ride height) and tighten everything there. well the sway bars didnt have any instructions, and i didnt have access to a drive on lift, once i was done with the frame lift so i just tightened everything while it was on the frame lift. i tightened up the end links first, then the frame mounds with the greased bushings last. anyone have any experience with this??
Old 04-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Launching!

If the suspension was unloaded (tires hanging freely) while you tightened down the swaybar endlinks, you've essentially pre-loaded the swaybar way too much once it's down on the ground and everything compresses. You need to undo the endlinks, and retorque them while everything is loaded.

I made this mistake on my Z28. I tightened down the endlinks on my ST bar while it was on jackstands. When I went to an autocross the next day, the turn-in was horrible. Reason being, I had pre-loaded the endlinks way too much, and as the car turned, the swaybar was already to it's "limit" because it was so tight. I undid them, and retorqued while loaded, and it turned in great.

I don't have access to any lifts of any sort, but the $20 pair of ramps I bought at Pep Boys work wonders, even with a lowered car.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Teching In

thanks, i'll do that tomorrow. so you really noticed a difference in turning?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Sure did. The tightness of the endlinks made a huge difference in how it felt when running through the course.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Teching In

did you ruin the end link bushings from your one day of running it wrong? my car is just a daily driver, but i dont know if i ruined the bushings. its a spohn front and rear sway bars with the poly bushing end links. thanks!
Old 04-16-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

I doubt you ruined them. Just loosen them, load the suspension and re-torque them.

-Mike
Old 04-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Teching In

thanx.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Install Questions