Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best brakes for LT1 car with stock spindle

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best brakes for LT1 car with stock spindle

I was wondering about upgrading my front brakes sooner or later. I do not wanna fool with spindles so LS1 conversion is out. I heard Power Slot rotors with Hawke pads was a great setup. I cannot afford a $1200 Wilwood, Brembo, or Baer kit either. Also, is there an awesome aftermarket caliper I could buy for stock LT1 brakes? Or is this not possible and I would have to get an expensive kit?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I was wondering about upgrading my front brakes sooner or later. I do not wanna fool with spindles so LS1 conversion is out. I heard Power Slot rotors with Hawke pads was a great setup. I cannot afford a $1200 Wilwood, Brembo, or Baer kit either. Also, is there an awesome aftermarket caliper I could buy for stock LT1 brakes? Or is this not possible and I would have to get an expensive kit?
The problem with LT1 spindles is that the caliper bracket/pad guide is cast as part of the spindle. So you can't switch to a different caliper or bigger rotors because they won't fit on the spindle. Aftermarket brake systems like Baer and Brembo require that you cut these "ears" off of the spindle. If you don't want to mess with the spindles than you're pretty much stuck with stock replacement type pads and rotors. But, there are some pretty good pads out there for the LT1 cars, like Hawk and EBC.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a few choices out there bro. I went with th Wilwood, and let me tell you that there is not one mod on my car that i don't appreciate more than my Wilwood's. As you know the LT1 braking system is horrible. Shitty single piston calipers just don't cut it. You can go to the LS1 upgrade. You have to buy new spindles, and calipers, rotors and pads. Alot of people that do this go to the C5 style brakes. TI's a bigger break at a fraction of the cost. It's not hard to do either, you just replace the spindles and then the calipers mount to that, no cutting, no "***** rigging" anything. If you can't afford the Wilwwod kit, then i would suggest the LS1 upgrade kits. If you can't afford that (it's actually not epensive at all..you can get them used off a wrecked car pretty cheap) then i would suggest some Bear Eradispeed rotors and some Hawk Q or H pads.

Hope that helps.

Tris

Quick Reply: best brakes for LT1 car with stock spindle