Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New ceramic pads and problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ceramic pads and problems?

I had some cermaic pads put in the front of my 02. I needed new rotors at the time too. At first the brakes seemed real slick, like they needed to wear in and around fast turns I would get a fast pulsing I could feel and sometimes even regular stopping would feel like the car would slide and catch. Now going straight and hitting the brakes fairly hard the car stops straight and without problems, but going around a fast turn(like coming off a highway to exit) the brakes sometimes get a chatter and other times feel like the brakes let go and then catch a split second later. Seems the sharper the turn the worse it does it. I still have the stock rotors and pads in the back. I asked the guy at the shop if cermaic pads could be mixed with the stock ones and he checked with the manufacturer and was told there should be no problems. I'm going to take it back in tomarrow and wanted some opinions so I could be better informed when talking to the brake shop.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't take it in, decided to give it time. Only thing I could come up with is the ABS is kicking in due to the front brakes are slipping some due to not being worn in yet. Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There could be any number of issues:
* warped rotors
* siezed sliding pins
* siezed/scratched caliper pistons
* air in the line
Old 04-21-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The most obvious, easiest to check and not mentioned would be that the rims were not torque in the proper starshaped criss-cross pattern. If they are torqued wrong, it can bend the rotors and make them feel warped.

What rotors and pads were used? Did the rotors have zinc to protect them? Have you bedded the pads in yet?