Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Revalved Bilsteins/Hotchkis Springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
i have koni DA's up front and SA's in the rear. awesome combination.
I autocross and road course it pretty often. that is my main goal. but when i hit the drag strip (once or twice a year), last time out i got a best 1.57 short time with 10.5 inch ET streets. i just set the front DA's to full soft and remove the sway bar, and the car hooks. so i have my cake and it too.
Hey thanks for that info, good to know!
Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Let me be blunt...... At some point you have to decide what suits you best.

Koni's are great shocks. I have them on my car. I want and need the ability to adjust the damping. I offer Revalves as another option to those that want better performance than HD's or SLP's offer, but don't want to pony up for Koni's. I base all my valving decisions off of Koni's. I consider the WHOLE setup of the car, and ask myself where I'd setup Koni's for it. I then take that info and apply it to the Bilstein's for the Revalving work. Think of Revalves as "non-adjustable" Koni's. Or you can think of them as the Bilstein Sport shocks that Bilstein never produced, which I take further by making different valvings for different people.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-27-2005, 01:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
Have you thought about the SLP bilsteins (revalved) and the matching SLP Eibachs (1" drop)? My mom's has those on her firehawk and it rides better then my SS when I had Koni's SA up front/Revalved Bilsteins in the rear with Hypercoils springs, I have since changed the hal F's on all fours. I heard the wait on Sam to revalve is a few months but I may be wrong. Let us know what happens, I am thinking of changing my current setup now for a little better ride

That's an apple and orange comparison. The springs on those two cars are HUGELY different, and that's the reason for the majority of the ride difference. If you still have the Hypercoils with the HAL's, I'm guessing you are finding the car underdamped in general. And if you turn the shocks up to control the springs, the ride is bad. I'm sure much worse than what you had with the Koni's. And BTW, the Bilstein's you ran in back are not Revalves, just an alternate valving....

The Revalving is running about 3 weeks right now. I submit the orders right away, but Bilstein's shop does the work and April/May is well into racing season. And Bilstein does a lot of racing shock work.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sam, would you recommend the hypercoils with the Hal's? I have stock springs in the back and hal #300 springs in the front. I want to run the hypercoils for lowering reason because I don't want to cut my rear springs.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
Hey Sam, would you recommend the hypercoils with the Hal's? I have stock springs in the back and hal #300 springs in the front. I want to run the hypercoils for lowering reason because I don't want to cut my rear springs.
Um, no. The HAL's aren't good dampers, and the Hypercoils are on the stiff side (and pretty damn progressive, so that rate climbs in a hurry).

I wouldn't recommend either of the individually in any handling or ride situation I can think of, and certainly not together.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam,

Thanks for the great info. In my situation, wanting what I am looking for, which Koni's, front and rear, would you suggest? I would also willing to spend the money to add any other suspension modifications that you would recommend at this time. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

deja vu huh Sam?

Had pretty much the same convo yesterday. haha.

I'm thinkin the hotchkis/revalves for the money.

How horrible will it be with hotchkis springs on the decarbons for a while? too shitty?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking at Sam's site, revalves would be $500, and then shocks--pick your brand from any dealer and be over or around $200--so $700 at least. Sam sells the Koni's for $800. If I am going to spend at least 700, I may as well spend 800...
Old 04-27-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon
deja vu huh Sam?

Had pretty much the same convo yesterday. haha.

I'm thinkin the hotchkis/revalves for the money.

How horrible will it be with hotchkis springs on the decarbons for a while? too shitty?
You'll have a very stiff ride.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

eh, ill stay 4x4 until then...
Old 04-28-2005, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, consider the stock shocks are the biggest problem the car has, and that's with stock springs. Adding more spring to those weak-***, ****-poor valved shocks ain't a great idea.....

As for "which" Koni's. I *RARELY* use DA's. They are expensive, the bump range isn't huge and the bump adjuster isn't the best design ever. I have a set, and they sit on my shelf in favor of SA's on the car. There are situations for them, but 99.9% of people don't have that situation. Remember also that I have two options on rear SA's, one less expensive but has to be removed for adjustment and has just 4 settings, and one more expensive ($95 for the set $705 for the former, $800 for the latter) that are adjustable on the car and have no detents that lock you in where you might not want to be.

How do you pick between Revalves and springs vs. Koni's and stock springs? The first thing you need to ask is adjustable damping more important than the lower height? Remembering that the Koni's can lower you some anyway and of course can be run with lowering springs too if you choose. Do you want more control over changes in ride and handling? If so, then you want the Koni's. Do you want something that works, is thought out and you can walk away from? Something that's less expensive, but offers better life and performance than other things around? Then you might want to look at the Revalves.

I'll say right now, I'd prefer to drive (both around and on back-roads) a car with Koni's a good alignment and a bigger front bar than I would a car with lowering springs and some less aggressive shock like a Bilstein HD. That shows you how important the dampers are. Revalves are simply an in-between option that you guys didn't have before.

Bottom line. It's the customer's decision. I'll help the best I can, and I won't let someone make what I feel is a mistake. Both are viable options, which is why we do both. I'm not into options that suck.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam makes several valid points.

I have DA's and I think they are overkill for 99% of the guys that own them (me included). That's not to say I don't love my DA's, I really do. Just that a set of SA's would have given me 95-98% of what I use and been 65% (roughly) of the cost. So, I'd steer people away from DA's (unless money is no object, then you can do as you wish) for anything that is not a dedicated track car (and even then, they may not be needed/used), it's money that is better spent elsewhere. This is not to say there is anything wrong with them or to insult those who have them (me included). If you've already got them, enjoy them, it's a great shock (but you already know that). And, I recently smashed a compression adjuster on my rears and spent over $400 to get them repaired (rebuilt), so they are not cheap to fix either.

Shocks have the most impact on the way a car handles, feels, rides, etc. They are involved in everything. The stock shocks are awful, or worse. Getting them upgraded (to a good shock with proper valving) should be the #1 priority for increased handling performance. Everyone wants to use springs to lower it and make it look good (not a bad goal) and the latest in sway bars and other parts that are "sexy". Shocks are out of sight and out of mind so they get neglected (and being expensive doesn't help), but they will make the most difference in ride/performance.

I'll say right now, I'd prefer to drive (both around and on back-roads) a car with Koni's a good alignment and a bigger front bar than I would a car with lowering springs and some less aggressive shock like a Bilstein HD. That shows you how important the dampers are.
I agree with Sam 100%.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Sam for the input. I think I just need to call soon! I need to figure out also if I should add any other modifications to the suspension besides Koni's at this time while I am doing everything else.

Quick Reply: Revalved Bilsteins/Hotchkis Springs ?