Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upper Ball Joints

I am starting to put together my tubular Kmember and front suspension parts while I wait for my heads. I have another set of upper control arms and was thinking of transferring the upper ball joints from them to the tubular ones. Has anyone ever done this, or do you just purchase new ones? They're about $50 each. If purchased new, did they come with new rivets? If you reused your old ones, where did you get the new rivets, they look huge.

Thanks,
David
Old 04-28-2005, 05:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I am starting to put together my tubular Kmember and front suspension parts while I wait for my heads. I have another set of upper control arms and was thinking of transferring the upper ball joints from them to the tubular ones. Has anyone ever done this, or do you just purchase new ones? They're about $50 each. If purchased new, did they come with new rivets? If you reused your old ones, where did you get the new rivets, they look huge.

Thanks,
David
David-

If you reuse the old ones you will have to drill out the rivets and replace them with bolts on the new arms. Don't atempt to try to find rivets, just use bolts. If you buy new ball joints they will come with the 3 bolts and nuts for each side, I always use the Moog Chassis ball joints.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 04-28-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

yup, thanks. I did that with the windows, but wasn't sure on a suspension part. I guess graed 8 & loctite

regarding the windows, I had real dark tint, and used to get a lot of fix it tickets. It was cheaper to have a set of clear windows in the garage and simply swap them out when needed.

David
Old 04-28-2005, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

yup, thanks. I did that with the windows, but wasn't sure on a suspension part. I guess graed 8 & loctite

regarding the windows, I had real dark tint, and used to get a lot of fix it tickets. It was cheaper to have a set of clear windows in the garage and simply swap them out when needed.

David
Glad to help, yes don't go cheap use the Grade 8 hardware.

Ryan
Old 04-28-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Glad to help, yes don't go cheap use the Grade 8 hardware.

Ryan
Hey Ryan, in this picture on your website, what is the silve thing bolted to the back of the spindle? Not the coil over, the actual thing bolted onto the back of the wheel spindle. I do not see it in any of the other pictures.

http://www.umiperformance.com/images/2300o.jpg

Also, what size bolts do you use for the upper ball joints?

Thanks again,
David
Old 04-28-2005, 08:50 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Ryan, in this picture on your website, what is the silve thing bolted to the back of the spindle? Not the coil over, the actual thing bolted onto the back of the wheel spindle. I do not see it in any of the other pictures.

http://www.umiperformance.com/images/2300o.jpg

Also, what size bolts do you use for the upper ball joints?

Thanks again,
David
David,

That is our bracket used for the Corvette C5 brake conversion. It allows you to adapt the 12.8" C5 rotors and calipers to a LS1 or LT1 steering knuckle.

For bolts a 1/4-28 bolt with a locking nut will work just fine for that

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 04-28-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
David,

That is our bracket used for the Corvette C5 brake conversion. It allows you to adapt the 12.8" C5 rotors and calipers to a LS1 or LT1 steering knuckle.

For bolts a 1/4-28 bolt with a locking nut will work just fine for that

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Hmm, I've been contemplating doing that, much cheaper than going the BAER route. I've already done the LS1 brake swap up front and have an extra LS1 spindle ***'y as well as the original LT1 spindle ***'y. I'm building up my Tubular K member, Upper and lower a-arm assembly while I am waiting for my heads.

How much for that kit? what about just the brackets? Is there a difference in LT1 versus LS1 (since they are both out of the car I can do either)? If LT1 kit is cheaper then I might be able to make some money back when sell both LS1 spindle assemblies.

I've converted the rear from drums to LT1 disc, is there a rear C5 kit as well?

Thanks, and see? Helping out on a ball joint question might lead to a Brake kit

Thanks again,
David
Old 04-29-2005, 09:46 PM
FormerVendor

Hmm, I've been contemplating doing that, much cheaper than going the BAER route. I've already done the LS1 brake swap up front and have an extra LS1 spindle ***'y as well as the original LT1 spindle ***'y. I'm building up my Tubular K member, Upper and lower a-arm assembly while I am waiting for my heads.

How much for that kit? what about just the brackets? Is there a difference in LT1 versus LS1 (since they are both out of the car I can do either)? If LT1 kit is cheaper then I might be able to make some money back when sell both LS1 spindle assemblies.

I've converted the rear from drums to LT1 disc, is there a rear C5 kit as well?

Thanks, and see? Helping out on a ball joint question might lead to a Brake kit

Thanks again,
David
Hey David, Thanks for the interest. If you visit our web site at www.umiperformance.com you will find all the info on the brake kits and brackets. There are different kits available depending on your preference. We supply the same kit for both the LS1 and LT1 models, it will work on both. But you are right your LS1 set up is worth a few dollars.

Just let me know if I can help anymore, I am glad to

Ryan

Quick Reply: Upper Ball Joints