Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Big torque arm problems.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big torque arm problems.

A few weeks ago I did a new clutch in my 99 formula. I had a friend helping out, and while I put the shifter back in and put together the whole console I assigned him to put the front of the torque arm into the mount on the tail shaft of the transmission. Its one bolt, how could he mess that up, right? well After the clutch was broken in and I went for a hard 1-2 shift the transmission felt like it was about to jump out of the car. i figured the trans mount was bad so I just decided to not really pound the gears for a few weeks since I am finishing up school and working full time I don't have any time to do it till school is over.

Well, I was driving the other night and shifted into 2nd pretty softly and feel a huge thud, the torque arm came out and hit the reverse lockout solenoid on the trans! I look behind me and the outer part of the clamshell bushing was in the street with the bolt. I babied it home and put it back together using a wahser and a lockwasher and tightened it down right but its still doing the thing with the hard shifts

The bushing looks fine, could it just be that it got streteched out too much with all the play in it over time? Every hard shift feels awful, and the torque arm has so much play in it that the weights on my driveshaft will hit it sometimes and make a ticking sound till i hit a little bump and it reseats the torque arm completely.

What are my options?

How much is a new busing for that and where could i get one?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Launching!

go to this page a scroll down towards the bottom,its $13.99 from Energy Suspension.
http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...%20/%20Chassis
Old 05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by monsterls1
go to this page a scroll down towards the bottom,its $13.99 from Energy Suspension.
http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...%20/%20Chassis
That sounds like a cheap and easy fix for the problems that you are having.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Teching In

How does the new bushing get put into the clamshell thing? the factory one looks to be riveted in, do I just grind the rivets out and then rivet the new one in?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Drill out the rivits and bolt the clam shell back together. Pretty simple. While you're at it you might as well replace the weak OEM trans mount too.

Search this Thread