Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake pad chang using Floor jack

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pad chang using Floor jack

I bought a 2-ton floor jack to change my brakes because I don't want the hassle of getting out the stock jack every time. However, I know you shouldn't use a floor jack on the stock jack points, but I'll only be jacking up one tire at a time, replacing the pads, lowering the car back down, and moving to the other tire. SO, I still want a jack point that is close to the tire I am working on to keep the car stable. Anyone have a picture of a good spot, especially when working on the front tires (99 TA)? Or at least a description of the point under the car so I (with my limited knowledge) can find it. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just put it on my lca in the front, really only spot i saw .
Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would seriously reccomend buying a set of jack stands dont trust your life or car to a jack... Stick the jack under the Kmember
Old 05-04-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
I would seriously reccomend buying a set of jack stands dont trust your life or car to a jack... Stick the jack under the Kmember

I agree.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Bud get some jack stands , they are not much money. Safety before cheap
Your gonna bleed those brakes arent you ?You need all wheels off. Jack front up from center of K-member, put cinder blocks under each A-arm , put a peace of wood on top of cinder block so you dont damage the A-arms , lower carefully. Jack back of car up at the center of differ. put jack stands under each side next to shocks, lower carefully.Remember to crack the lug nuts loose before you jack up anything, and torque them when the cars back on the ground . Hope this helps
Old 05-05-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Old 05-05-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR1911
Jack front up from center of K-member, put cinder blocks under each A-arm , put a peace of wood on top of cinder block so you dont damage the A-arms , lower carefully.

this has bad idea written all over it.

imo, never jack up a car by the k member. it is completely flat and has a high probability of slipping off the head of the jack, guess where it is probably gonna go if it slips, right through the oil pan or right onto the crank pulley, neither of which would probably end up good.

second, cinder blocks??? a car can VERY easily crush a cinder block. also the a arms sit at a slight angle and are also perfectly flat, see above for why this is bad
Old 05-05-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I gotta agree.... please go get some jackstands. $20-25 bucks can save for life. Jack the car up and put the stands under the sub frames. It is very clear where they are underneath the floor pan (just looks like boxed frame that's integrated into the body).
Old 05-05-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ift_points.htm
Old 05-05-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've witnessed the horrors of cars falling down off a jack first hand. My uncle is a very experienced backyard mechanic, seeing as his piece of crap car is always breaking down on him. He lifted the jack and everything was fine but he placed the jack on dirt, which doesn't prove to be very stable when you have a 2 ton car supported on it.

The jack slipped slowly and after 20 minutes, smack right on top of his dog.
Scared you with that one, huh. Yeah he was out from under his car luckily, but his dog was snooping around and the car landed on it.

Get the jack stands, cheap insurance.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Umm the K-member is not flat and also has a small hole in the center for the jack to hook onto, that is why its there. And the cinder block will hold up a house, it will hold the car just fine.Plus it has a more useable surface to support the A-arms I have been doing this method for 20 years,just did it yesterday, and have not had a boo boo yet. That said jack stands are always the way to go if you have them, but if you dont my method will work just fine .
Old 05-05-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks pretty flat to me

and that hole is a tow hook, not a "hold your jack in place so it doesnt fall off" hole

also let me be the first to state how happy i am to live in a house which cannot be supported by a cinder block.

enjoy your cinder blocks, and good luck with them no crushing you under your car
Old 05-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

So in that pic it looks flat to you? Hmm I'm seeing a few holes and an angle on that K-member, if you think you cant lift it from there,well I'm sorry but your nuts, the whole engine and front of the car is on it. And I never said to leave it on a jack so it can slip off either. And let me be the first to say that I 'm happy you live in a home that cant be supported by a cinder block, neither do I , alot of cinder blocks hold up a house not just one. Why dont you try and help this guy out instead of picking at what I said, since you seem to know it all anyway, and no matter what I say you just going to find falt in it . I made a suggestion ,and stand by it, but you seem to think you are a god of some sort, and feel the need to tell me to enjoy my cinder blocks and not to be crushed by my car. Thank you for your childish insight , and have a nice day.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

do what installuniversity says. i had my car up on stands for a week doing my header install along with a few other things.

Quick Reply: brake pad chang using Floor jack