Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: What setup for an '02 SS while keepin stock shocks???
BMR
38.60%
Eibach Pro-Kit
15.79%
Hotchkis
26.32%
Other...(no more than a 1.5 inch drop)
19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

BMR Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005 | 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Default BMR Springs

got an '02 SS 35th Aniv.(red) and was lookin into some springs and most have said go with BMR

any SS/Z28 guys out there with pics???

i wanna see what it will look like...
an inch lower doesnt seem like it will make a big difference

i just want a somewhat aggressive look but not too low
not sittin on the tire or anything, just a good clean look with a nice little rake

thanks in advance
Old 05-05-2005 | 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know I'm a TA, but I do have BMR springs and stock shocks. I really like them. I wanted lower, but not slammed. And I basicly got what I was looking for.

Old 05-05-2005 | 01:23 AM
On The Tree

hey man thanks

love your tire and wheel setup
what u runnin under ther and did u mod the fenders or anything to fit the rear

the drop looks nice, how much higher is the rear than the front( i want a lil rake to mine)
any more pics???
Old 05-05-2005 | 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

BMR with Koni SAs. An inch doesn't sound like much but trust me its more than you think I was suprised after it was done. I didn't think it would be low enough but it was just what I wanted.

Old 05-05-2005 | 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Think im gonna get the BMR or the Hotchkis springs...

i was wanitn just a little bit lower(very little), but if its not low enuf i will take em back off and trim maybe a quarter inch off the spring itself

i like the way yalls look but i still have factory rims and i am afraid mine will sit a lot higher than yalls, i will kepp the factory shocks cuz they are new

i want some ZR-1 Wheels like in the pics above with about the same tire setup and all to go on a 35th Anniversary SS

i was leanin towards the pro-kit from eibach but i have seen a bunch of SS and TA with that kit and they all sat different(some high,some low,some just rite, and some were uneven)

yall see any more pics send em my way
thanks
Old 05-05-2005 | 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if anything... change shocks and keep stock springs.. otherwise, the car will ride like $h!t.
Old 05-06-2005 | 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

I have BMR springs with stock shocks....30k on this set up so far and it pretty much has driven like stock...i liked it...but now im steppin up to Bilsteins with the BMRs. goodluck.
i have pics also but i too am a T/A...ironicallt enough, another red one...

www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair
Old 05-06-2005 | 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could go with BMR all around with QA1 adj in the front. That way, if you want a little more rake in front. you can still lower it a little.
Old 05-06-2005 | 08:16 PM
Banned

ta's and camaros sit differently. Ta's are STOCK lower than a stock camaro.

Just remember that. You will ALWAYS see a TA that is GREAT LOOKING with lowering springs.. but CAMARO's have to have the RIGHT AMOUNT of drop to make it look right.

this is coming from a 2001 camaro SS owner
Old 05-06-2005 | 08:58 PM
On The Tree

so what do you recommend???

BMR or Eibach-Pro kit

if i do the BMR then i can always cut a lil off to get it just right...

dont wanna go NO lower than 1.5 inches!!!

the Pro-kit on a TA is a lil too much for me but if they sit lower than a Camaro then maybe i need the pro kit for my SS

whats your opinion???

some pics would help, all i have seen is lowered TAs but not many Camaros
Old 05-06-2005 | 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wyckedcamaro
ta's and camaros sit differently. Ta's are STOCK lower than a stock camaro.

Just remember that. You will ALWAYS see a TA that is GREAT LOOKING with lowering springs.. but CAMARO's have to have the RIGHT AMOUNT of drop to make it look right.

this is coming from a 2001 camaro SS owner
Now, are you sure that might not be the result of an optical illusion due to the MASSIVE body kit slapped onto the Trans Ams?

BTW, Listen to Eugenio. He's a smart man even if he is Canadian. You don't want to change springs in order to lower the car without changing the shocks. Becuase of the lower ride height, lowering springs will typically have a higher spring rate. Stock shocks just are not up to the challenge of damping these higher spring rates. It's much better to get new shocks that have more damping capability and then get springs to match than to jump into new springs that are too much for the shocks to handle.
Old 05-07-2005 | 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Hotchkis springs
I've also heard of people keeping their stock shocks for about a year or so before changing them out.
I still have my stock shocks on the car and haven't had any problems.
Old 05-07-2005 | 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Xtinct...

exactly how much did your car drop
with the Hotchkis springs???
Old 05-07-2005 | 11:13 PM
Teching In

I have a 2000 Z28 that I receintly put Hotchkis springs on. Dropped my car about 1 1/2 and looks great to me. I have the factory wheels and shocks (for now). If someone will tell me how, I will attach a picture for your viewing. Good luck in your decision.
Old 05-07-2005 | 11:18 PM
On The Tree

i would like to see that pic man
email it to me if you can

thanks man
Old 05-07-2005 | 11:23 PM
Teching In

What is your e-mail address?
Old 05-07-2005 | 11:29 PM
On The Tree

kindbras@aol.com

thanks man
Old 05-17-2005 | 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

1) I can't believe you have a 35th SS and want to replace the 35th wheels with ZR1s
2) It doesn't matter your stock shocks are new. I replaced my stock deCarbons with Konis at 15,000 and got a very positive change in handling and ride. That included retaining the stock springs. Anyone who tells you stock shocks are fine with lowering springs is saying so because they haven't tried better. If the more capable Konis feel better with my stock springs, I can't imagine the difference with higher rate lowering springs, but I wouldn't want to bother finding out in my car.
3) You have to pull the front shocks completely out of the car to change the front springs. It's not an overly fun job, so you may as well change the shocks while you're at it. No sense in turning around and pulling the whole thing out again to replace shocks when your stockers give up. They'll probably give out slowly enough that you'll not notice how crappy your ride has gotten. By time you do, and then swap shocks, you'll end up wishing you'd done it months ago when you had the crap out in the first place. So again, swap shocks.
4) Seeing as you apparently don't care much about the ride or spring rates based on your research and primarily are concerned about ride height, have you considered a "coil-over" kit like those from Ground Control? Then you can infinitely adjust the height without removing the springs and having to cut them.
Old 05-17-2005 | 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
1) I can't believe you have a 35th SS and want to replace the 35th wheels with ZR1s
2) It doesn't matter your stock shocks are new. I replaced my stock deCarbons with Konis at 15,000 and got a very positive change in handling and ride. That included retaining the stock springs. Anyone who tells you stock shocks are fine with lowering springs is saying so because they haven't tried better. If the more capable Konis feel better with my stock springs, I can't imagine the difference with higher rate lowering springs, but I wouldn't want to bother finding out in my car.
3) You have to pull the front shocks completely out of the car to change the front springs. It's not an overly fun job, so you may as well change the shocks while you're at it. No sense in turning around and pulling the whole thing out again to replace shocks when your stockers give up. They'll probably give out slowly enough that you'll not notice how crappy your ride has gotten. By time you do, and then swap shocks, you'll end up wishing you'd done it months ago when you had the crap out in the first place. So again, swap shocks.
4) Seeing as you apparently don't care much about the ride or spring rates based on your research and primarily are concerned about ride height, have you considered a "coil-over" kit like those from Ground Control? Then you can infinitely adjust the height without removing the springs and having to cut them.

i really dont wanna change the 35th wheels but i wnt somethin deeper or wider on the rear so i can run a lil wider tire
if they made my wheels in like a 10 or 10.5 then it would be good

yesterday, i ordered Hotchkis springs and a BMR adjustable pan hard bar...
so now im waitin on more money to order shocks

want to get some fairly decent shocks btu i aint gotta have the top of the line
i just want somethin with a reasonable price

but i will take suggestions on any shock and where to buy

thanks
Old 05-23-2005 | 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moe Z for Me
I have a 2000 Z28 that I receintly put Hotchkis springs on. Dropped my car about 1 1/2 and looks great to me. I have the factory wheels and shocks (for now). If someone will tell me how, I will attach a picture for your viewing. Good luck in your decision.
Can you email some pics of this? Thanks

John

Quick Reply: BMR Springs