Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Eibach Rear Prokit spring and KYB shock combo

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Rear Prokit spring and KYB shock combo

I have been looking for a rear shock combo that would work with my rear Eibach Pro Kit springs without having to pay potentially, a couple of hundred of dollars. I think I have found the solution and I want to pass it on to others.

My setup: 2002 Camaro SS. I am running the C5 Y2K wheel/tire package with a .160" stainless steel spacer to address some of the offset issue (65 mm vs 50mm) between the Y2K and the stock 17" SS 10 spoke wheels and I have BMR adjustable LCAs and Panhard bar. Stock shocks and stock springs w/o the rubber isolators (have heater hose over the first coil of the springs).

Picture of setup:

The Problem, as many of you would know is that the Eibachs Prokit and the stock shocks have too little travel in the shock because the spring, even with the isolators, forces about 1 - 1 1/2" of compression of the shock. For me, rolling over anything larger than a penny about knocked my teeth out. So, I settled for the stock shocks and springs (w/o the isolators) look that you see above. But, I wanted the rear to be lowered even more.

Solution: Use the Eibach Prokit with the stock isolators AND KYB KG5519 shocks. If you look up the shocks, they are for a 1973-1976 Ford Thunderbird and I believe a 1979 Lincoln Mark V. The KYB's are about 2" shorter than the stock shocks and when fully compressed, about 1.2" shorter than stock. I am assuming that other comparable shocks from other manufacturers could/would work, but I am pleased with the KYBs.

Here are the Eibachs, flanked by the stock springs:

Here is the rear after installing the Eibachs and the KYB shocks:

Notes and impressions after 1 week of driving.

I like the stance and look of the rear now. The pictures of the car are with approximately 1/4 tank of fuel in it. With a full tank, I am guessing the rear sits about 1/2" lower. I have driven the car on both interstate and city streets. For those of you in the DFW area, I basically take a couple of tollways to get to work (Las Colinas) as well as drive on Old Denton/Luna Road, which is not the smoothest road in the world.

The drive has been better than I anticipated. I am not bottoming out on bumps and the feel of the car is a bit softer to me when compared to our 1993 Vette with the Z51 suspension. I am not experiencing any kick back over bumps or the feeling of the car shifting on me when I do go over bumps. I have NOT had this combo out to a track (drag or other) so I cannot comment today on how it is doing compared to what I was running. The big advantage to my wallet is that I can buy the shocks for about $45 each!

If I can provide more/better info on this combo, PM or email me. I do plan to post this in a couple of other forums as well.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffstaples; 05-16-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

did you do the same set up to the front, what size kyb shocks did you run in the front???
Old 06-15-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice read
i have the pro kit and stock shocks. im looking at options for shocks. would these be about as good as the bilstein HDs?

whats the reason for the heater hose?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, I have no idea what you mean about the stock shocks not having enough travel. They should have ample travel.

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
would these be about as good as the bilstein HDs?
I really doubt it.
Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
whats the reason for the heater hose?
To keep the small vibrations in the rear axle form being transmitted into the cabin. They are not loud and can only be heard with the windows up and radio off, but why even have that? a liitle rubber hose does the trick.

Quick Reply: Eibach Rear Prokit spring and KYB shock combo