Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

possible spacers with stoptech

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default possible spacers with stoptech

I am aware that spacers are NOT the way to go when fitting a newer brake system, however, I am curious if anybody can confirm the spacer width I estimated for use with stoptech 332x32mm big brake kit and OEM ZR-1 SS wheels on a 1999 Camaro Z28.

I will eventually purchase newer wheels that will fit without using wheel spacers, however I observed through the use of the stoptech template that there is only a little more than 0.25" needed to space the wheel spokes from the caliper (specifically about 5/16" including space to completely clear the wheel spokes). I also plan to replace the wheel studs with longer ones to compensate for spacers. Even though I will only replace the front brake system, I will be using four wheel spacers of even width on all four wheels and will use identical length replacement wheel studs.

Anybody with confirmation of these specs (any experts, especially those who are running a kit like this) please chime in.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Porsche brakes required a 1/4" spacer up front for the caliper to clear the spokes when using my 9" WS6 rims.

However, the 11" ZR1 replicas required no spacer. I cannot speak for the 9" version, though.

And don't discount using spacers up front and none in the the rear. Widening the front track width helps with turn in ...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Mitch! Great advice. Nice that an experienced RR expert chimed in. Oh and thanks for the extra info since I neglected to mention the exact wheel dimensions (mine is 17x9" ZR-1 SS)

If there isn't a need to widen the rear track then it might be worth it since I can save time, money and parts, however do you think that 1/4" or 5/16" wider front track (while rear track remaining stock) might create more understeer than desired (at least by a driver who has pushed and somewhat mastered the limits of the stock suspension's performance)? Even though my stock suspension components will eventually be replaced (a la yours and trackbird's recommendations from previous posts) this is something that I'm taking into consideration.

I apologise for the extraneous questions, however I figure that this might help others as well. (I attempted to search the forum for a subject as specific as this, but came up blank)
Old 05-18-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A wider front width than the rear should HELP understeer ...

Give UMI a look for those components. I have been impressed with Ryan's willingness to listen to the needs of the buying public ...

Quick Reply: possible spacers with stoptech